Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Protests March For Immigration Reform
Re: No how about [message #58165 is a reply to message #58164] Tue, 28 March 2006 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I see more and more mexican construction crews coming into my store. When the bosses come in we have asked them why. They can't get American help. They're paying 10-15 an hour for laborers, 20-25 for skilled carpenters, and can't find anyone who will show up regularly, not be stoned or drunk, and work hard. My local contractor customers are having lots of trouble finding help also.

The immigration problem is not easy. I'm in small town america, and it's here also.

Re: No how about [message #58166 is a reply to message #58165] Wed, 29 March 2006 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No doubt the immigrants work hard; I see that. The thing is they don't require the support systems citizens do. Such as compensation and other payments. That may not be the case by you; in middle America there aren't many young people left due to migration out of the heartland. But make sure it is not due to pressure from the groups working on the jobs. Here if you as a citizen and of European descent tried to shape up on the line for a job they would freeze you out in a number of ways. The immigrants would make it clear to the contractors that you are a no go. They can do it and the contractors won't buck the tide and hire you.
Maybe only the drunks and no shows are desperate enough to take that chance?

Re: No how about [message #58167 is a reply to message #58166] Wed, 29 March 2006 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Could be. When the crews come in generally only one will speak english, supposedly. It's usually pretty obvious that several of them also do, but act ignorant of the language. So that's a possible clue to the behaviour you describe.

I need to learn spanish. Both of my kids are fluent. I also don't have an answer. This has been a thorny issue since the days of the Irish immigration, probably before. Just my observations.

Re: No how about [message #58168 is a reply to message #58167] Wed, 29 March 2006 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; complicated situation. The only difference being that for the most part the Irish came here legally.
It's hard to start out in a country when you have already proven you have no respect for their laws.

Re: Protests March in TX [message #58170 is a reply to message #58151] Sat, 01 April 2006 11:27 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
AHHH, they were marching around here yesterday flying their Mexican flags. Do they not realize that if they were to fly the USA flag and then march about saying we want to become Americans so we can get equal treatment they would get further along? I don't give a flying F*&^ about them if they march about flying the wrong flag and expect to be treated different because they're here illegally. Tell me "I want to become a citizen, an American" to get my attention.

Previous Topic: George on TV ...Again?
Next Topic: I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:02:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio