Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Another... :-)
Another... :-) [message #58113] Sun, 19 March 2006 13:00 Go to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Huh...snow, mud, strain, even mines "suspected" area... But very large tower, historical important, but destroyed and less preserved.
Anyway, a nice day...

Re: Another... :-) [message #58116 is a reply to message #58113] Mon, 20 March 2006 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I love the pictures. Please keep them coming. Why are there so many trees down? Ever find any old artifacts?

Re: Another... :-) [message #58119 is a reply to message #58116] Mon, 20 March 2006 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Hi, thanks. Last time I was there (about 1990.) everything was different, and as I remember, better preserved. From the bushy forest you can`t actually see the tower, and it was difficult to find it. It was the "war zone" `91., and as I said "mines suspected area", and I came here not before yesterday, after about 16 years.
But, lumberjacks were here recently...argh...at least, they "cleaned" the tower, but I suspect that field erosy will be worse than trees/bush.
The name of the tower is "Stone-City", it belonged to various noble families during 15th-16th centuries, then Turks captured it. The Austrian and local army won them in 17th century, after the siege. There`re a few close hills, and cannons fire did it. It was a large castle, with multiple outside walls ("star" shaped), and inside tower.
For centuries, few villages (5-6 km distance) built their houses with castle stones, pitty.
This castle is mentioned many times in (local) history books like very important, and on important roads (?!). Today, it is far away from any road, deep in woods and on 612m hill - how the things changes?!
There is a (small) hope for preservation of those old castles and old woods, this area is a "park of nature", somewhat less then "national park"...
Artifacts - no, I didn`t search for it, there`re probably a few meters of soil over the real, old yard level.

Re: Another... :-) [message #58120 is a reply to message #58119] Mon, 20 March 2006 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Damir; when the lumber companies come through do they disturb the stones at all? And what kind of wood do they cut?

Re: Another... :-) [message #58121 is a reply to message #58120] Mon, 20 March 2006 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

As far as I saw it, they didn`t ruin the ruin, ha...
Oak and beech-trees mostly.

Re: Another... :-) [message #58122 is a reply to message #58121] Mon, 20 March 2006 14:19 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ruin the Ruin; thats good! I posted a while ago you should only make a calender out of the twelve photo's; I already blew one up and am having it framed. Don't get mad for theft of IP!
I like some of them; the colors and textures of stone and wood. We have all brick and granite here except for the brownstone homes uptown and in Brooklyn.

Previous Topic: Swarmer??
Next Topic: Spoke too soon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 14:49:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout