Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » legalities of reverse engineering
did I miss something? [message #57854 is a reply to message #57852] Sun, 15 January 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bill,
Thanks for promoting me to small business owner, but it is going to have to be an honorary promotion. While it would be reasonable to make the leap, it is far too entertaining doing it for fun. I'd rather not have to keep such secrets, and nobody is making me...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Re: come on in! [message #57855 is a reply to message #57853] Sun, 15 January 2006 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

your right John,

I dont know, why should a painting or a song not be owned by the creator, or who ever the item was given or sold to?

what make a painting any different than a refrigerator?

here's a good one. how bout land? I drive down a road near the coast and I cant see the water anymore. I'd like to have a view of the water driving down the public road but there are too many houses built up.

Re: come on in! [message #57856 is a reply to message #57855] Sun, 15 January 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Another long winded story. Friend Al had waterfront on the Reynolds Channel in Island Park. Beautifull view; he gets the bright idea to sell one corner thinking it would cost so much money to drive pilings on the perimeter to conform to code that no one would ever pay it.
Wakes up one morning to big grinding track cats hauling stuff through the right of way. Next day THUMP THUMP; piles sinking into his very expensive view. 1,300 dollars a foot and the owner did a 160 foot bulkhead. Now he has the letterbox version of his property.

The music and download thing is so freakin' complicated it is never-ending. But I gotta stay on this one; you buy a radio you have the right to tape thats my position on that.

Re: come on in! [message #57857 is a reply to message #57856] Sun, 15 January 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

What to do, what to do. Sometimes what can you do? seems like nothing more often than not!

So your last statement has put a very large chink in my copyright point of view. I have always believed that if you build something that was a commercial product of someone else. It would be OK if you did this for your own personal use.
Now you bring up Music download. When hundreds of thousands of people download a single song for their personal use... The RIAA pulls in the feds and sends kids to jail for it.

Its all stealing. What's your threshold of pain for getting caught?
Do I think kids should be fined for downloading music? not really. Most of the down-loaders of music are not going to buy the music anyway. but since they have it downloaded, they or a friend might just buy something later on.

letterbox beach front. sounds like a condo 20 miles long and 100 stories tall. inland people see a wall and condo people all have a letterbox view through a portal.

Re: come on in! [message #57858 is a reply to message #57857] Mon, 16 January 2006 07:45 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ha! No it's the house. See the guy by law must have a permanent bulkhead before he can build. So natureally this is cost prohibitive; to build the house than put 200k worth of bulkhead in. Murphy's law of real estate. If it can be built it will be built. So counting the bulkhead/land/house he has over 1 mil into the property. Never thought it would be worth that kind of money. Now Al looks between houses at his view. He thought he got over on the guy initially and it worked for fifteen years until the boom.

Music downloads. I have one example that just occured to me. If you put free food out for the homeless and a rich guy in a limo pulls up and takes it; is it stealing?
When the music is offered to the public on public airways it becomes public property. Not for you to take and perform and use to make money; but for your use as a consumer; and that includes taping for portability. I have to stand by that.

Previous Topic: Cyberstalking law
Next Topic: Cowboys Faggots
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 17:37:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout