Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » If I ever did half the stuff I get accused of..
creativity.... [message #57776 is a reply to message #57770] Wed, 04 January 2006 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
is not enhanced by;

monkey see, monkey do

monkey see, monkey copy

copies are facsimilies not originals

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57777 is a reply to message #57765] Thu, 05 January 2006 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor

And It's hard for me to understand how a hunk of iron wrapped in wire and insulation merrits any protection anyway. Yeah; maybe the first guy who thought of building one should reap some reward, but after that; it belongs to the world.

Fine.

But answer me this. Why should Douglas make any reference whatsoever to Peerless with regard to the transformer he's having made by Heyboer? In terms of its function as a transformer, all the amplifier gives a rat's sphincter about is its electrical characteristics. It doesn't matter one bit what name happens to be printed on it.

So why then does the name Peerless have to be mentioned at all except for the purpose of exploiting someone else's good name and reputation?

se

as predicted... [message #57778 is a reply to message #57776] Thu, 05 January 2006 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
it is not just a copy, it's an improvement. For an original circuit. Or at least one which does not deserve patent protection.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57779 is a reply to message #57777] Thu, 05 January 2006 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I saw that as an easy and effective way to communicate the specs needed for that application so as not to cause any confusion.

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57781 is a reply to message #57779] Thu, 05 January 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I saw that as an easy and effective way to communicate the specs needed for that application so as not to cause any confusion.

So as not to cause confusion? What confusion?

se

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57784 is a reply to message #57781] Thu, 05 January 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; Douglas is making so many changes so quickly to his circuits that calling the transformer by name eliminates the possibility of mis-communicating the specs for that circuit.
Instead of having to post the same specs over and again it is easier to give it a name.
It's like if you were DIY'ing a Chevy 350 for the track you wouldn't go around quoting the bore and stroke sizes every time you wanted to address the engine or change parts somewhere in the drivetrain.
I would imagine the parts guys would get pissed after a while. So you ask for a Chevy 350 crank or whatever.

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57785 is a reply to message #57784] Thu, 05 January 2006 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
so... why not call it a Heyboer HTS-745* or E-Linear XY-ZS?

Calling your new corner horn contraption a "klipshhorn" is not likely to fly too well with the Klipsch people. And I would bet a copycat product explicitly trading on their namesake and goodwill would be but a short lived venture.

parsing of language.... [message #57787 is a reply to message #57784] Thu, 05 January 2006 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
you mention the "language" or communication needs of racers...

actually it's sparsed down quite a bit more than you suggest...

I want a crower. 3.75" with 2.1" mains,5140 nitrided, 43lbs and knifed.

that's all ya need to say to a really good parts man and he won't
confuse your request with a ford or a mercedes crankshaft.

but if he a really good parts man... he will need to know your bobweight and rod length and whether the rotating assembly is
externally or internally balanced.

so... simply telling the parts man it's for a chevy 350 isn't actually good enough anyway. And you need to tell him if it is a new style seal (one piece) or an old sytle seal (two piece).

msl

and if you want to use genuine Honda rods.... [message #57788 is a reply to message #57787] Thu, 05 January 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
on your small block... you will need to change the 2.1" spec to 1.85" spec.

msl

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57789 is a reply to message #57784] Thu, 05 January 2006 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor

*sigh*

se

Previous Topic: Happy new year, creatures!
Next Topic: Another old tower :-)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:25:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout