Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism.
Re: See your doing it right now.... [message #57344 is a reply to message #57340] Fri, 11 November 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No opinion at all. She is giving a concise easily understandable definition of what Judicial activism means.

Re: Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism. [message #57345 is a reply to message #57341] Fri, 11 November 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ok, I'll give it a go.

"Liberals are lying about it." About what?
She is saying that the liberals are lying about what judicial activism means. Calling it "voting to invalidate laws passed by congress" Her point is that the liberals are trying to change the definition so as to apply it to Republicans.

But liberals have recently taken to pretending judicial activism is — as The New York Times has said repeatedly — voting "to invalidate laws passed by Congress." Invalidating laws has absolutely nothing to do with "judicial activism." It depends on whether the law is unconstitutional or not. That's really the key point.

Prissy = arrogant

Chairman Mao would approve of the ability to "Change the definition of words in mid-argument without telling the guy you're arguing with"

Extra double secret right to abortion = There is no such "right" in the constitution. This is her point. The judges made it up. As for your right to privacy being in the constitution. Could you please show me where it says that specifically?

"Show me one statement of substance that has meaning outside of her opinion."

ok:
"Judicial activism means making up constitutional rights in order to strike down laws the justices don't like based on their personal preferences."

The rest is her opinion.

Re: Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism. [message #57348 is a reply to message #57345] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Prissy does not mean arrogant. Thats the problem; definitions.

Exactly which liberals are saying this? I would like to read it somewhere.

I never read that about Chairman Mao???

The privacy right is explained in an earlier post on this site. I don't want to re-write so I must ask you look for it. It is in an exchange between myself and Akhilesh on this forum.

What you cite as substance is opinionated speculation.

Whoever said that judicial activism is the invalidation of laws passed by congress. If you want to call it that. If the law is unconstitutional then it should be invalidated. Whats so hard about that??

Liberals=straw-man. If you have nothing to say you create an antagonist and attack that phanthom to shroud your lack of intellectual rigor in a phony legitamacy.

Re: Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism. [message #57350 is a reply to message #57348] Fri, 11 November 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well if you know what prissy means why did you ask what it meant?

Show me a link about the privacy right? Or a cut and paste. You say it's in the constitution so it should be a simple matter. I have read the constitution and can not find a "specific" right to privacy. Not to mention that the right to privacy even if it did exist has nothing to do with abortion.

Re: Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism. [message #57351 is a reply to message #57350] Fri, 11 November 2005 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As far as what Prissy means I was asking what it meant in the context in which she uses it. Thats what threw me; her syntax is off. The word itself means excessively prim and proper. Using it to describe a newspaper is strange to say the least. It has no meaning in that context.
Thats my point; she just don't make a lot of sense most of the time in the way she writes. It's all hyperbole and exaggeration. Like Moe on the three stooges used to do.

I really mean you have to scroll down the page to get the description of privacy rights. It is right there on this page. I don't want to re-write it; it's too long.

Re: See your doing it right now.... [message #57353 is a reply to message #57344] Fri, 11 November 2005 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No definition in there. Tell me what the definition is then.

Re: Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism. [message #57354 is a reply to message #57351] Sat, 12 November 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here is an explanation for you from the web site below (Things that are "not" in the constitution). Notice that there is no specific mention of a right to privacy in the constitution and that it mostly came from the courts. A right to privacy that is implied is not the same as a specific right to privacy. I should also mention that I am not against a "right to privacy". Just when it is misused.

The right to privacy

The Constitution does not specifically mention a right to privacy. However, Supreme Court decisions over the years have established that the right to privacy is a basic human right, and as such is protected by virtue of the 9th Amendment. The right to privacy has come to the public's attention via several controversial Supreme Court rulings, including several dealing with contraception (the Griswold and Eisenstadt cases), interracial marriage (the Loving case), and abortion (the well-known Roe v. Wade case). In addition, it is said that a right to privacy is inherent in many of the amendments in the Bill of Rights, such as the 3rd, the 4th's search and seizure limits, and the 5th's self- incrimination limit.

Prissely [message #57355 is a reply to message #57351] Sat, 12 November 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ann Coulter used the word Prissily in this context.

Thus, The New York Times prissily informed its readers: "There is a misconception that so-called activist judges who 'legislate from the bench' are invariably liberal. In fact, conservative judges can be even more eager to overrule decisions made by elected officials."

This definition of prissily comes from the web site below:

Adv. 1. prissily - in a prissy manner; "the new teacher alienates the children by behaving prissily"

Seems like she used it correctly to me. But even so. This has absolutely nothing to do with her intelligence or accuracy of her comments. Instead of arguing that she is wrong with facts. You argue about whether or not she used the world "prissily" correctly. As if to say that anything she says must not be accurate because she used a word that may not have been accurately used in a sentence. Her grammar was off so her facts must be.

Re: Prissely [message #57356 is a reply to message #57355] Sat, 12 November 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You asked me why I offered that comment; so I gave you the reply you asked for. Why yell at me for that? It's still a cockamamie idea as is most of her diatribe.

Re: Just for you Manual. Ann Coulter on the definition of Judicial Activism. [message #57357 is a reply to message #57354] Sat, 12 November 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Constitution doesn't mention a right to marraige either; so am I off the hook? I don't need to bring home my paycheck anymore? Yet if you are married in one state you are married in all states; is that in the Amendmendts or something?

Previous Topic: Still waiting for the COHERENT explanation of legislating from the bench
Next Topic: Manual - here's a little tid bit on Bob Grant you might be interested in.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:36:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio