Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Peerless transformers, trademarks and intellectual property rights
For Wayne and Mike [message #57008 is a reply to message #57007] Sat, 17 September 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, you wrote: "That seems wrong to me, but I think it is legally correct. Probably is wrong ethically, but I don't believe there is any basis in law that protects an unpatented device from being copied and sold."

Wayne, No one here is an attorney and the arguments are based mostly on speculation. I think it's an importnat point of discussion, but in this case we are WAY past the point of constructive banter. It's importmant for the ART sponsors to know where they stand legally on thier designs. "Thinking" and "believing" are not acceptable comfort words in this situation.

Legally, Doug can or cannot make the transformers to his specification using whatever topology he has uncovered from unwindings. There is no grey area. PERIOD.

Mike, if you have a letter from your attorney stating you have exclusive rights to a 50+ year old transformer design, please post it. Also, file a C&D......Colin

Re: For Wayne and Mike [message #57009 is a reply to message #57008] Sat, 17 September 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you 100%. Just for the record, I already said I think this is excellent advice you are giving. I was just thinking outloud with these guys, because I find the issues surrounding ethics and law on the internet to be important.
Re: For Wayne and Mike [message #57010 is a reply to message #57009] Sat, 17 September 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't see any incentive for Mike to provide any legal documentation. If he has the rights and it is cost effective I am sure he would have done whatever he needed to do.
What do we stand to gain by hearing this; how would our position regarding the winding of the transformers change should this be posted?
Just curious.

Re: For Wayne and Mike [message #57011 is a reply to message #57010] Sat, 17 September 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Mostly as a courtesy. You're right, Mike is not required to provide proof to anyone; however, I think it would be prudent if such existed to disclose to at least Wayne so this matter can be decided for the good of ART.

Personally, I'm a little nervous. I do not want to be named in a IP suit for allowing this continue, since I was the mod of the forum. I did this for fun. It is not fun anymore.....Outahere for a while or longer, Colin

Re: For Wayne and Mike [message #57012 is a reply to message #57010] Sat, 17 September 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think what Colin meant to say was that our discussions about legal matters are somewhat uninformed. We each have some experience in these matters, but we're not attorneys. I think he was suggesting it might be best to consult with an attorney, to better understand and possibly protect ones rights (or lack of them). Maybe I misinterpreted Colin's meaning, but that's how I understood his message.

Re: For Wayne and Mike [message #57013 is a reply to message #57011] Sat, 17 September 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A prudent suggestion. Mike, what say you? Colin, take care of that wife and family of yours. We'll hold down the place for a while. Come around when you feel like it, but don't sweat anything.

Re: For Wayne and Mike [message #57014 is a reply to message #57013] Sat, 17 September 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Welp; I see where it was an interesting discussion. I asked of my buddy a quick question regarding patent rules; he said lots of patent law is not cut in stone but is still being interpreted; thats why there is so much debate in the news regarding copyright and so many new cases being highlighted in the appellate courts.
Colin has no exposure in an IP suit by virtue of moderating that forum; he is not qualified as a proffessional requiered to distinguish between legal points.
Now Wayne hosting the forum is another story.

that's it in a nutshell, no? [message #57016 is a reply to message #57008] Sat, 17 September 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Colin wrote: Mike, if you have a letter from your attorney stating you have exclusive rights to a 50+ year old transformer design, please post it. Also, file a C&D......Colin

So please post it Mike. It won't require a C&D, just a claim that holds water.

This is the point at which Mike has left the discussion unfortunately. I have put a note on top of the forum asking Mike to get in contact with me. I think I have a sol'n which will address the core isues he has with me. It is a plan which will wind up costing a bit of money for the legal preparation if we can come to the agreement I have in mind. It will require a fully wrapped up set of agreements.
cheers,
Douglas

if it were patented.... [message #57017 is a reply to message #57011] Sat, 17 September 2005 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
there would be a number to track down. I have not done a very thorough search myself.

I would be willing to wager quite a sum of money regarding the existance of such a number with any takers. It would fund a whole bunch of interestingand high-density toys!
cheers,
Douglas

Warning Will Robinson! [message #57018 is a reply to message #57014] Sat, 17 September 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Have to learn how to post pics I guess.
Next Topic: So the business lobby has requested that the patriot act be changed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:00:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout