Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation
To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation [message #56838] Sun, 04 September 2005 07:13 Go to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Well, from about 270MB of photos, I`ve chosen this one. You are probably tired of half-naked girls on the beaches, sand, pines, sun, sunsets, sea, etc.
It`s St. Nicholas church from 12th century, half church, half citadel, near the Zadar, Dalmatia. Abut that time, coalition forces against the Moslims destroyed and looted this Christian city, on the 4th crusade... Another dark intrigue from the past, in Venetian production...

Re: To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation [message #56839 is a reply to message #56838] Sun, 04 September 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Damir; thats a pretty good picture. I actually wouldn't mind blowing it up to a larger poster size. The contrast between the stone projection of the building and the organic shape of the tree is a great shot. Actually the top of the tree sort of looks like a cloud.
Why are there no other trees?
So you took your family on an historical vacation?
Boy I have to say that really looks medieval.
Got anymore pics?
It's amazing to see a building thats a thousand years old isn't it.
Whats the signifigance of this particular church?

Re: To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation [message #56841 is a reply to message #56839] Sun, 04 September 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

It`s early-romanic architecture, place where early Croatian kings were crowned. Archeological excavation in this area showed many 7-12st century objects, and some objects and necropolis of older cultures. Almost all ancient nations had those sacred places.
In little town Nin, near this place there is even older church, about 9th century.
Actually, the weather is not that nice that day, and we turned to history... It`s not sharp picture (low light) - the one of the reasons for "analog feel" of digitally made photo...:-)
Hey, if I have your E-mail, I`ll send you a full resolution photo, promised...:-)
There`s another one, from just finished modern higway all the way to the seaside. No, I didn`t drive and shoot, there`s a traffic jam at the entrance of 5,7km long tunnel. There were lot of turists!

Re: To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation [message #56842 is a reply to message #56841] Sun, 04 September 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats a pretty place. It's interesting for us here because even living in New York were some of the headstones in the cemetaries read back into the 17th century it's nothing like what you see.
I would enjoy to see some more of this;
Block2@optonline.net; thats my E-Mail. Thanks.
So what else did you guys do?

Please keep the pictures coming [message #56843 is a reply to message #56838] Sun, 04 September 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Your pictures and descriptions are a welcome diversion. Thanks......Colin

Re: To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation [message #56844 is a reply to message #56841] Sun, 04 September 2005 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metasonix is currently offline  metasonix
Viscount
Amazing--if not for the European-style road signs, that looks exactly like any number of areas in northern Arizona or New Mexico.

Re: To Manualblock (& Co) - a picture from summer vacation [message #56850 is a reply to message #56838] Mon, 05 September 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That is soooo cool! The history of places like that is very interesting to me.

And half-naked girls on the beaches, sand, pines, sea and sunsets ain't half bad either!

We did what good tourists should do... [message #56855 is a reply to message #56842] Mon, 05 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: We did what good tourists should do... [message #56856 is a reply to message #56855] Mon, 05 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely; I have always enjoyed waterside bars. Makes the Carribean look blase'.
And the water will cushion the landing when you fall off the barstool.

Previous Topic: GWB is showing his true colors
Next Topic: Thanks Damir
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 13:58:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout