Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » wal-mart
Re: wal-mart [message #56703 is a reply to message #56701] Fri, 19 August 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; I resemble that remark!
But you sly guy; you know I am not a fan of management and as such make a poor example of a capitalist.

Re: wal-mart [message #56704 is a reply to message #56702] Fri, 19 August 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; thats what is the real problem. It's similar to the folks around here who hire illegals to do the lawns and the home improvement work because they appear to work cheaper. Then we visit the emergency room of all the local hospitals and who do you think is in there? They are; disproportionately so with their children and older members suffering from ear infections and simple conditions that would normally be treated by a physcician or a doc-in -the -box for 75$. But since they are non-resident aliens, they are now sitting in a 750$ a visit hospital on our dime.
Their kids go to school because by law they must; but they have no legal residence so we pay to educate them while they work off the books.
Forget about the police rersponses needed to deal with all of the problems in their ares.
My point??
Wal-mart petitions a town suffering from a high unemployment rate. They offer jobs in return for tax incentives. The town has really no choice so they opt for this big traffic problem logistics problem box store to set-up shop. Now there are lots of people employed at minimum wage with no health care; back in those hospitals again. The town makes much less than projected because many of the low lying businesses go under as a result of this invasion, businesses that would have been around forever. People can't afford to spend on minimum wage so they don't add all that much to the economy. Wal-mart produces a strain on city services that costs money.
Why do the people support this obviously faulty benefit? Do they have a choice? Wal-mart sells cheaper because they qouge suppliers and buy out of the country. And a non-union staff means no permanent jobs or potential for increased revenue which was set by the original agreement anyway. And when that store is no longer generating enough revenue; what do you think happens? They abandon it; and the town pays to clean up the site.
I can go on and on; but think of the fact that there are at least seven states looking to legislate against tax incentives for this monster. Do you think they hate business in those states?

Re: wal-mart [message #56705 is a reply to message #56704] Fri, 19 August 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hate to reply to my own message; jeez what a conceit! You know Loew's pays decent wages,pays taxes and carries decent merchandise for a box store and they make a profit.
Why not Wal-Mart; unless they are greedy CS'S.
Thats why the Mart targets the weakest places. There will be a union in there in another five yrs and thats the end of them anyway. Instead of running an illegal sweatshop and beating the competition this way they will have to do fair business and I don't think they can survive in a fair environement.

Re: wal-mart [message #56706 is a reply to message #56693] Fri, 19 August 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds exactly like the "health care" package I had a couple of jobs ago. Wal Mart is not unique in this respect. The one thing that pissed me off was the well baby care. Here I was a PhD making a good salary, and having to take the kids to the free clinic for their shots, etc. The managemt team that decided the helth care package was composed of older (read as senior mgt.) employees and had no idea that a required shot at the doctor's office could run up to $300 out-of-pocket. With the number of kids I have, this was serious change. Thank God for the county clinics, or it would have been Mac-n-Cheese every night......Colin

Re: wal-mart [message #56707 is a reply to message #56703] Fri, 19 August 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, heck no! Capitalism doesn't have anything to do with management. It's about independence of private parties. Capitalism is characterized by private ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined by a free market. Business organizations are owned by individuals or groups of people as opposed to being owned by the state. And in this system, there are lots of workers, all that want a fair shake.

Re: wal-mart [message #56708 is a reply to message #56706] Fri, 19 August 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm sorry to hear that, genuinely. No adult family in America should have to comprimise the health of their children while CEO's get a hundred million dollars to run a company into the ground then walk away.
There is no reason on God's green earth that we cannot offer health care to the children of this nation except for greed and avarice.

Re: wal-mart [message #56709 is a reply to message #56707] Fri, 19 August 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So; this is a fair and open Market? I have a good essay from an old VTV written by none other than our own Metasonix that deals with jusy how free this market economy is. He says it way better than I can.
Three questions as a courtesy I ask for three answers;
If you have to work 60-70 hours a week and have your wife work also while some stranger watches your kids; is that a good example of healthy capitalism?
If you cannot afford health care and at some point must sacrifice some needed care for your kids in order to pay rent;
If you must work hours above your schedule at a moments notice without warning and consequently leave your kid to fend for themselfe for hours because your boss can dismiss you at will for not complying with mandatory overtime rules;
Are these examples of good capitalist results?

Re: wal-mart [message #56710 is a reply to message #56708] Fri, 19 August 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Luckily there are state programs that cover kids. At first I was upset that my company would not cover the basics, but Ohio has a very good health care coverage for kids. For this we are thankful.

Like I said, it's not just Wal Mart. From my limited experience, it seems the larger the company, the poorer the health care benefits......Colin

Re: wal-mart [message #56711 is a reply to message #56709] Fri, 19 August 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My main point to Damir is that corruption and greed aren't Capitalism. They're corruption and greed. The image of the "Fat Capitalist" that was painted in the Soviet sphere of influence is just as disgusting to Americans. It isn't like all Americans are "Fat Capitalists," nor do most Americans strive to be that way. Your comments here are a perfect example.

Re: wal-mart [message #56712 is a reply to message #56710] Fri, 19 August 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Never used to be that way. Why can't these companies at the very least offer a subsidised plan for normal medical interventions? Why? Because they don't feel they owe their employees a damn thing, thats why.
And we let them get away with it.

Previous Topic: Non one will like this post
Next Topic: Ah the good old days....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:33:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers