Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Kat Giantis
Re: Kat Giantis [message #56425 is a reply to message #56424] Fri, 24 June 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You; were bored? Now that is something I find hard to believe. Because if that is so, I have a couple half dozen project ideas I could put in a request for, like a taller, thinner Theater 3 for a start. As long as that is the case I'll rant for a while here and maybe entertain a little.
We need some serious music posts; the posts we are getting are too pedestrian and redundant. We need some ideas to open peoples eyes and free up their musical exposure. Look through the posts; they are either the same/similar/old hat or lousy pop icons. There is good music out there but it needs to be discussed; and listened too.
Why do we build this stuff? What is it about music that encouraged you or me or anyone to spend a good portion of your life building stuff to play it?
Forget these hooples from the other foruum's posting nonsense to trivialise ART. You and we make it too easy for these banana's.
A persons individual philosophy about life itsownself should be thrashed out in this foruum, thats how you learn to connect the man/his philosophy and his music and as a result you can obtain his opinions on music and sound from their source.
Thats why I don't go to shows or meetings anymore; lousy, useless music and musical conversation. The show reports gush and squeal about all the virtues of all the equipment and spend two minutes on the music. Lots of photos of stuff(Nothing of the innards that you could actually learn from); but no one actually thinking about the combinations of sound/music/equipment and personality.
If a person is not listening and learning about music through their equipment than all this building is just jerking our chain; they should build homes for the poor or do something usefull with their skills instead of boasting every five minutes about some simple-minded box with parts in it and no connection to anything of musical interest or knowledge. How do you trust the opinion of someone concerning their stuff when you know from their posts they don't even listen to music? Or the things they do listen to are sophomoric and poorly recorded. Why even follow a project without any musical background to give it any value.
It is my considered opinion that the real reason females don't do audio is this fundamental fact. The disconnect that many builders have between their efforts and the outcome. The mechanical result that required all this crowing and bragging. I know females who stare in amazement at guys foaming at the mouth over the looks of some piece of equipment and then not even playing a whole piece of music on it. Or playing some boring pop trash and then doing some jiboni analysis of the soundstage. Remmember,"Where's The Beef?".
Well, Where's The Music?

Stuff to ponder if you get bored again.

Re: Kat Giantis [message #56426 is a reply to message #56425] Fri, 24 June 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, I was sort of anxious and bored - I had everything ready to go to GPAF but couldn't go until noon. I had spent a very hectic week getting ready, working round the clock and then it was the day of and I was done and ready. So I was killing time.

As for projects, I've had some extremely interesting things on my plate. I'm itching to report some news about the cooling system I'm doing, because it's exciting. But what I have now is not quantified, just seat of the pants stuff so far.

Earlier this week, we connected the valve to a pump and the flow differential through the two sides was remarkable. I can tell the thing will work great, at least for setting up unidirectional flow. But the prototype was made with 1.5" ID, and it really should have been 1.25", so we had to machine an adapter. That isn't ideal, and will affect the testing. But the device worked so well on the bench that I'm confident even with a slight mismatch, it will still tell us what we want to know. It's ready for me to take and test, but I'm too busy to get it right now, so I'll get it tomorrow. I'll post some pics soon, to show you what I'm talking about. And I hope to have some demonstratable numbers very soon too.

I'm working on a new tweeter horn too. It's actually a re-hash of the one I designed for Martinelli to make. It was originally intended to have curved walls for top and bottom and straight walls on the sides, radiused to transition from the throat and at the mouth. But instead, Bill made the sides curved and the top and bottom straight. So I'm working on the updated version right now, and getting CNC stuff together. That's pretty cool, and I'm excited about it.

Speaking of Martinelli and the taller Theater three π you mentioned, that's exactly what his Arezzo was. It was a taller, thinner Theater three π loudspeaker. If you like it that way, just shift the woofer up in the baffle and mount the tweeter externally. Even leaving the cabinet dimensions as they are, just moving the tweeter outboard makes it taller. Or you can modify the cabinet a little to make it even taller and thinner like Martinelli did to create the Arezzo. Each of these configurations of the Theater three π loudspeaker are good, it's a great little loudspeaker in any flavor.

Re: Kat Giantis [message #56427 is a reply to message #56426] Fri, 24 June 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds good; never thought to check Bill's site for a small two way 12" driver. So what is this pump and fluid cooling thing? It is a pro system obviously but does it have home audio potential?

Re: Kat Giantis [message #56428 is a reply to message #56427] Fri, 24 June 2005 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The cooling system is for loudspeakers but it's still a little early to say what places it will be most appropriate. Like most of my projects, the information is open and available for others to DIY. So it could be implemented on any loudspeaker by an industrious tinkerer.

The idea is to remove heat from the speaker using a ducting arrangement and an intercooler. Speakers in very small boxes may not vent hot air effectively because the pressure in the box impedes are movement. The air inside the box may become more and more heated too. So by venting into an intercooler, I am hoping to remove the heat more effectively. This will increase power handling and reduce compression. It will also reduce the shift of electro-mechanical parameters towards an underdamped alignment as the voice coil becomes hot.

Certainly, the main focus is on high-output woofers in prosound, but it may also prove useful for high-output home theater subwoofers too. It's a pretty simple system with a valve, a couple of hoses and an intercooler. All of it except the flow valve is available off-the-shelf, and the valve is easy enough to make. If it proves to be successful, I'll make the valves avalable at low cost. You can insert them into the cooling vent of most woofers, so this option is open to just about everyone.

Re: Kat Giantis [message #56429 is a reply to message #56428] Fri, 24 June 2005 17:21 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Isee; now you know why I am surprised you stated you were bored.

Previous Topic: Schiavo
Next Topic: Jeb Bush
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 30 13:39:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout