Home » xyzzy » Tower » Paul Newman
Paul Newman [message #55684] Mon, 29 September 2008 17:54 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm really sad that Paul newman died. I remember in the early 1980's, I used to go to Hallet race track. Lots of big names ran there in the SCCA and IMSA sanctioned races. People like Peter Gregg and David Hobbs tore up the track, setting records and making names for themselves.

There was always one of two Hollywood celebrities that would race. Tom Cruise is a recent example. These guys were competitive at all, it's almost like they just wanted to be able to say they did it. Or maybe they're just having fun, I don't know. I remember seeing James Browlin out on the track, season after season, driving so slowly around the track we all used to joke you could outrun him on a tricycle. The guy was really just taking a Sunday drive, getting in everyone's way. Damn near dangerous to have those Hollywood types on the track.

When Paul Newman started racing, at first I thought he would be just another Hollywood girly-man taking a leisurely drive around the track. No way. This guy was competitive, he drove his car. Not only that, but he started winning. I'd say he was an exception, an exceptional man, and I was always impressed with him.

Racing aside [message #55696 is a reply to message #55684] Tue, 07 October 2008 17:23 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What I'll remeber most is his 50 + years of marriage to the same woman. Considering all the crap we hear from H'wood these days, I think that commitment is something to be admired.......C

Previous Topic: Out of this world
Next Topic: Sad time for Baby Boomers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:17:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout