Home » xyzzy » Tower » Ping Mr. Vinyl
Ping Mr. Vinyl [message #55632] Fri, 05 October 2007 18:28 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thought you'd like this article, if you haven't already seen it. I've been looking for an 8"SC for myself (and the kids). I thnk my HOA would have a fit over the dome (although it really doesn't address this specifically )

Astronomy [message #55633 is a reply to message #55632] Fri, 05 October 2007 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's excellent, Colin.

Melissa has been wanting to get a telescope. The thing that concerns me the most is ambient light. We live in an area that is pretty well lit at night, and that makes it hard to see. A private observatory would work a lot better in a rural area out in the country, away from city lights.

Re: Astronomy [message #55634 is a reply to message #55633] Sat, 06 October 2007 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Light polution is a pretty big issue as urban areas grow. Naked-eye observing is almost impossible from our yard. If I can see a magnitute 2 star, I feel pretty lucky. The new CCD/software packages seems to address this problem.

Unlike the old days, telescopes can now be completely interfaced with home computes to the extent that one can sit at the kitchen table and observe with complete control and comfort. I used to like freezing my ass off just to look at the perfect sky, but now I'm way too old.

I would love to have private observatory. Two issues would concern me: convenience and security. I have a hard enough time just walking downstairs and listening to my system. Also, theft and vandalism would always be a real possibility.....C

Re: Astronomy [message #55635 is a reply to message #55634] Mon, 08 October 2007 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right about security. What do you think about having a glass window on the ceiling to look through? I suppose it might be too reflective and/or lossy but it would be one way of keeping the telescope indoors. I like the idea of having a remote controlled shutter to open and close the window too.

Re: Astronomy [message #55639 is a reply to message #55635] Wed, 10 October 2007 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You're right about the glass being too lossy/reflective. I guess one could have optical glass (very flat) coated with an anti-reflective coating, which is done on higher-end scopes, but that would one 'spensive piece of glass.

I imagine having an observatory on the hosue, mentioned in the original artice, would be less than ideal as well. I think the thermal currents from the roof would kill any high power observing.

What kind of scope is Melissa looking at?......C

Re: Astronomy [message #55640 is a reply to message #55639] Wed, 10 October 2007 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nothing specific yet, she just wants one.

Wow, very cool. [message #55641 is a reply to message #55632] Fri, 12 October 2007 09:39 Go to previous message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That would be nice. Sorry I didn't respond right away to your post. I only stop by infrequently. Thanks for posting it. Just tell the HOA your looking for God and you have a religious right. They probably won't bother you

Previous Topic: FS: Used motorcycle
Next Topic: Classified
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:40:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout