Home » xyzzy » Tower » PC Question
PC Question [message #55612] Wed, 20 June 2007 16:26 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Every few days I'll find my hard drive running continuously for a few minutes. When this happens I might as well go away and not use the computer until it finally stops, because it seems to take precedence over any other program I try to run. I checked the program manager and found an application called AppSvc32.exe is using about 70 to 80% or more of my processor capacity when this happens. Does anybody know what this application is and whether I can disable it?

Re: PC Question [message #55613 is a reply to message #55612] Thu, 21 June 2007 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's part of the Norton Suite of security programs. Norton was one of my favorite utility program suites back in the DOS days but Symantec's latest releases of utility programs really suck, in my opinion. My suggestion is to remove it and buy Webroot for viruses and UnHackMe for rootkits.

Re: PC Question [message #55614 is a reply to message #55612] Tue, 26 June 2007 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Fred,

I found this subject discussed on the web. See link below. One of the posters on the forum suggests this. I use Norton but have not had the problem. Hope this helps.

Open Norton Protection Center
Click on Norton AntiVirus tab at top
Expand "Settings" and scroll down to bottom for Additional Options -> Virus and Spyware Protection Options
On the left-hand side of the screen that pops up, click on General Settings under Manual Scanning
Uncheck the second item, which should be "Scan active programs and start-up files"
Again, on the left-hand side, click on General Settings under LiveUpdate
Uncheck the second box there, too. It should be "Run quick scan whenever protection updates have been received"

Re: PC Question [message #55626 is a reply to message #55612] Sun, 02 September 2007 06:03 Go to previous message
GTF is currently offline  GTF
Chancellor
Are you using VISTA?
If so Bill is indexing your files for faster access.
I don't think it's a well like feature of VISTA.

Previous Topic: NYNY safest big city
Next Topic: A little Sunday driving
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:28:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout