Home » xyzzy » Tower » Not Enough Pigs In The Oil Business
Not Enough Pigs In The Oil Business [message #55416] Wed, 09 August 2006 07:18 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It turns out BP's Alaskan pipeline that spilled 267,000 gallons of crude oil on the tundra and has been shut down because of previously undetected corrosion was exempt from regulatory oversight because such pipelines are considered low risk for ruptures. That means BP was permitted to follow its own inspection regimen, and the pipleine was last "pigged" in 1998. In spite of this mishap, BP's deplorable safety record at its Texas City refinery, and their near loss of a Gulf of Mexico production platform, BP CEO Lord John Brown, who received a million dollar raise last year, was named a "green" executive by Vanity Fair magazine a few months ago. It appears to be there are too many pigs in BP senior management and not enough in their pipelines. But I'm confident this will change because BP is launching a multi million dollar image enhancement campaign. To me the most unconscionable aspect of all this is that each BP accident results in a production loss that raises crude oil / gas prices and increases their already record profits even more. It's kinda like baseball would be if it were legal for the pitcher to bean the batter every time.

Re: Not Enough Pigs In The Oil Business [message #55417 is a reply to message #55416] Wed, 09 August 2006 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
BP's VP for PR was on Fox the other night "Explaining" what "Really" happened and why it is No Big Deal. I think you may be right about this Fred. According to studies people become immune to advertising and PR manipulation over time. I believe they become desensitised and eventually adopt a Laizes Faire atitude that creates a culture of ambiguity equally as bad as the PR itself.

Re: The Power of Oil Business [message #55436 is a reply to message #55416] Sat, 12 August 2006 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
As far as I know Alaska is still in the US. We smart pig our lines every five years, to report the line operating conditions and physical condition the national pipeline database. I'll bet BP petitioned for exemption based on the fact that they're not a common carrier and the application of huge amounts of cash in the right places.

Crude oil pipelines are hardly low risk - especially at the head of the production chain - the produced waters at the wells are extremely corrosive and anaerobic bacteria can puncture a pipeline in a couple of years - everyone knows this. Everyone, including BP - they just tried to get away with as much as possible.

Re: The Power of Oil Business [message #55437 is a reply to message #55436] Sat, 12 August 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They claimed that there was no water entering the lines at the pumping stations. So they needed less maintainence. I don't know why the water issue was different for their supply lines. They found much of the pipe to be 80% corroded.

Re: The Power of Oil Business [message #55444 is a reply to message #55437] Sun, 13 August 2006 07:54 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"I don't know why the water issue was different"

Eggszachery!

Previous Topic: And this is why I went to Sturgis.....
Next Topic: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 15:10:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout