Home » xyzzy » Tower » Does anyone think...
Does anyone think... [message #55336] Fri, 16 June 2006 07:54 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
that an Ivy-League education is worth persuing?
Is the 130K tutition worth investing in over say a very good state school that runs about 60k?
Does anyone think the contacts you make with people in say Princeton help your carreer in the long-run; or is that a fallacy?
Obviously if you are going for medicine and you are accepted into Johns Hopkins it is worth it. But if you are doing somethig less auspicious does it matter?

Re: Does anyone think... [message #55337 is a reply to message #55336] Sat, 17 June 2006 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For the most part the making-contacts thing applies to people who are already in the club - the Lodges talk only to the Cabots and the Cabots talk only to God kind of thing. Trailer trash isn't getting into the circle no matter how much money he pays in tuition.

More importantly to me is that at the BS/BA level you're taught by freshly minted PhDs or graduate assistants for the most part, especially at the big name schools - for the money you never get the one-on-one contact with senior faculty that they imply in the catalogs. Hell, some of them brag these days you never have to leave your room - just log in to lectures and exams.

To me, if you're going to drop big bucks, do it for post-grad school.

Re: Does anyone think... [message #55338 is a reply to message #55337] Sat, 17 June 2006 06:24 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; I kind of have been thinking along those lines. Its like the people who send their girls to elite schools even though they are lucky they can count to twenty with their shoes off; hoping to get them married off to money. I know it doesnt happen.
I wonder if the name recognition is a door opener though.
BTW thats good advice; grad school.

Previous Topic: Will we start the drawdown in Iraq before the November elections?
Next Topic: Pet Peeve
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:36:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout