Home » xyzzy » Tower » Anyone know anything about the SAT's?
Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55267] Wed, 17 May 2006 18:55 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Any experience information or knolwedge you might be kind enough to share?

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55269 is a reply to message #55267] Thu, 18 May 2006 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Are you talking about he college entrance exam?

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55270 is a reply to message #55269] Thu, 18 May 2006 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Never took and SAT, but took the ACT's, which is what they offer in KS. Man, what a test! We stayed out till 5 am the night before getting drunk and partying because it was homecoming night. I actually scored real well on it, too.

I'll get to find out all about it this summer (the SAT's). My sixth grade son was chosen at his middle school to take a 2 week study course for the SAT's for free (usually $1500)! Then he gets to take the test next fall I believe. Yes, he makes me feel stupid!

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55271 is a reply to message #55269] Fri, 19 May 2006 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes thats right. It is now scored at 2400 points with an essay component. I am being told that the colleges are now pretty much focused on that test to the exclusion of HS grades. Thank God for that! So I just wondered if anyone had any experience with the test.
I am hearing the Princeton Review is a waste.

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55272 is a reply to message #55270] Fri, 19 May 2006 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The PSAT's; that would be what your son is taking in 8th grade no? They had my boy do the PSAT Practice exam in 6th grade; they go to a private test site and it is logged onto the state computor. Is that what you mean?
I have heard thye ACT's are gaining in importance. Do you know what the difference is in terms of relevance to their curriculum work?

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55273 is a reply to message #55271] Fri, 19 May 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's been a while since I took it, remember the ACT too. My son took those a couple years back. It is still a long test. As far as its relevance for college entrance - It was important to colleges in the seventies and eighties just as now. They based entrance almost completely by the score in the late seventies and early eighties. So I don't know that there has been much change in how colleges view entrance exams for the last couple decades.

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55274 is a reply to message #55273] Fri, 19 May 2006 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm told the relevance of the SAT's endured a small decline in the late eighties and early nineties due to the fact that females tend to score lower. Thats why they incorporated the essay portion in the new test.

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55275 is a reply to message #55272] Sat, 20 May 2006 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Must be. We haven't really received much info on it other than they picked 10 kids from each middle school to participate. I'll tell you what, the TAKS test (the Texas state test) is a freakin joke. My son tells me every time he takes it that it was a waste of his time. I'm just glad he's doing as well as he is and doesn't have to struggle. It definitely lets him be more creative in his work.

I've seen the SAT's and taken the ACT's and as far as I can tell they are pretty much equal as far as difficulty. They changed the test format of the ACT a year or two after I took them. I can't remember for sure what test part they removed and replaced other than the catagories you got your scores for was different. In SW Ks that's all we had.

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55276 is a reply to message #55274] Sat, 20 May 2006 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The importance of these test scores I think is highly overated. I've known lots of people, including myself, that tend to clutch up on tests. Doesn't really show how much potential is there, just the ability to regurgitate information. I did well in HS as far as grades went and in college, too. But I had to learn to control test anxiety to do it. I think the only reason I scored as well on the ACT as I did (32 composite) was because I was still half drunk and relaxed! LOL!!

What have you heard about the Princeton Review that is discouraging? They offer that course around here for the middle schoolers as well.

Re: Anyone know anything about the SAT's? [message #55277 is a reply to message #55275] Sat, 20 May 2006 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I never took the SAT's; the story is my High School was closed shortly after I grduated. I was attending college on their good faith because my records were lost. As far as the SAT strategy I am getting some good advice here and elsewhere. Buy as many of the SAT prep books as you can and study all of the tips and tricks they offer. Don't waste money on prep courses unless they are local/have one instructor and very good references. Then also take all of the practice tests offered by the state. That is the advice so far.
Man there is so much at stake here that I get nervous for my son before he even does. He has a good resume and we are not wealthy. He plays two sports/three instruments in Band Jazz and Wind Ensemble and he has a 99.7 average. 17th in a class of 267. I say this to illustrate my concern because he has a shot at a good college and some money but I am naieve in the ways of admissions strategy. I am hearing that the good schools are so damned competitive now that people are going crazy trying to up their potential. 100k now for four years is some kind of row to hoe. You also I see will be experiencing this nightmare soon; no?

Previous Topic: Skilling and Lay Convicted
Next Topic: Remembering Memorial Day
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 17:28:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout