Home » xyzzy » Tower » Price of gas
Price of gas [message #55169] Wed, 26 April 2006 08:40 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Whats everyone doing with the affects of gas price on the rise.

Any one have an idea for people to contact to help out to control cost or let let is go as is. Time to knock off a spotted owl and drill in the refuge maybe? Alcohol from sugar or grain? we have lots of farm land

Re: Price of gas [message #55170 is a reply to message #55169] Wed, 26 April 2006 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Tax on excess windfall profits?
Say what happened to the promise that Iraqi oil would help pay for the war and keep prices down anyway? How is it Halliburton manages the Iraqi oilfields and we get much higher prices? I want Saddam back; he sells the oil cheaper.
So; instead of taxing excess profits and applying that revenue to the excised price of oil; Bush wants to "Suspend" all environemental regulations. Remmember that when there is a superfund site nextdoor to our kids school in ten years. And they have strange rashes on their skin.
Ethanol costs as much as oil so no help there.
You know we have paid far less than everyone else for many years; it had to happen eventually; the "free market".
So; you had to fill those twin 200 gallon tanks eh Bill? Ouch!

Re: Price of gas [message #55171 is a reply to message #55169] Wed, 26 April 2006 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The last time we talked about this, September 19th 2005., the price of gas here in Croatia was $1,23-1,42 / l, or about $5 per gallon.
Today, the price is $1,3-1,48 / l - not much larger (following $), but on the August 24. 2004. (I found on Web) - the prices were about $1,07-1,33.
The rise of the price for diesel fuel (summer `84.- today) is 21,5%!

Go west, young man [message #55172 is a reply to message #55169] Wed, 26 April 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: Price of gas [message #55173 is a reply to message #55169] Thu, 27 April 2006 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; outsiders have never been allowed to own land in Mexico and are prevented from immigrating there. That has always been one of my most unbelievable paradoxes. I had a buddy who tried to buy and forget it. You cannot even get a deed in perpetuity.

Re: Price of gas/correction [message #55174 is a reply to message #55171] Thu, 27 April 2006 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Huh, just found a little mistake - the rise of the price for diesel is from summer of 2004. - today, not `84.
The price for "Super 98" unloaded fuel is higher about 11,3% (August 2004. - today).

Re: Price of gas [message #55175 is a reply to message #55173] Thu, 27 April 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ah, ya like that eh! I thought that was a bit of a parody myself.

I cant see how a special windfall tax would do any good. First off as long as it's not gouging, that would be putting a limitation on how much a company can earn. kinda defeats a lot of dreams. If it's price gouging there are different laws that should apply. not a tax.
Second if it was a tax it's very unlikely any money would get back into a consumers pocket, where it should have stade in the first place.

Whats wrong with drilling in alaskan refuge? I'm not saying desimate the place. but I dont agree with hard core activist who would say any disturbance is wrong.

If ethonal cost as much to make as gas that would be just fine. Why not give thousands of farmers some income, in America, for a renuable energy source?

We use around 167 billion gallons of gas a year. If mobil and and others made 50 billion in profits it doesnt work out to a lot per gallon. Although it's hard to stomach not only record setting, but larger than life profits 'and' pay record prices at the pump. these guys have a lot on the line in investment and risk to get product out. I guess you could get a refund if you bought some mobil stock and you got an increas in your dividend?

Maybe the fastest way to reduce price at the pump is to lower the demand. If we drove a little less and a little slower; across the country those numbers add up fast to significant reduction in demands.

Re: Go west, young man [message #55176 is a reply to message #55172] Thu, 27 April 2006 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

good grief, what's up in Wyoming? no fuel taxes? tha'ts almost wholesale price.

Re: Price of gas [message #55177 is a reply to message #55175] Thu, 27 April 2006 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Funny but I just listened to a radio show with an economist who explained by the numbers exactly how much money each component of a gallon costs.
For a 3:00$ gallon 1.67$ goes to the crude price. That was under a dollar six months ago so there is where the wiggle room is.
The next highest cost is the refining. 67c per gallon. Tax equals 42c per on average across the states. Shipping is pretty cheap; 17c a gallon. Thats the reason ethanol is no bargain; because it must be trucked from the midwest instead of using the pipelines. The retailer makes 15c a gallon but one surprising thing is the credit card companies get 7c a g. Because all the retailers buy on credit.
The reason for the sudden jump he claims is strictly demand; the supply is steady but the demand has risen; both due to more countries like China seeking gasoline and because we practice no conservation measures.
Drilling in Alaska helps no one; the amount available is small and would go predominantly to Japan. The rise in crude price is fixed by the traders on the mercantile exchange in New York and Chicago. According to this industry spokeperson much of the rise in price is due to speculation on the part of huge money fund shifts. The sharks on Wall Street in other words.
Another problem is the obscene salaries of oil company exectutives; running into the Billions if you count all of upper management.
Next is thier accounting methods, FIFO means they can pay 20$ for a barrell of oil in 2005 and write off the current cost as tax deferred.
I can't recall all of the rest of what he said but becuase it is fresh in my mind I got this much. Very interesting stuff.

Re: Price of gas [message #55178 is a reply to message #55177] Fri, 28 April 2006 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Sure the price per barrel is the most costly. It would be nioce to see the companies with high profits invest the money back into more efficient refineries or such, that would help to controll price at the pumps.
Yep, 400 gallons to top off the yacht makes for a rough afternoon. You have to make a plan in advance for a trip because it's a major expense Like buying a plane ticket. the days of ripping up the lake for fun are gone I'm afraid.
Interesting take on the credit card's. For the most part, Everything we buy has 3% tacked onto the price because retailers all have to fork over the vigerish to the card companies. Convienient for us to use our debit cards and credit cards. But it's costing everyone 3% on everything.

Previous Topic: Five Generals Now; Dumsfeld Must Go
Next Topic: Huge March in Manhattan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 16:09:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout