Home » xyzzy » Tower » ManualBlock - Continued from below - Home Schooling
Re: ManualBlock - Continued from below - Home Schooling [message #55084 is a reply to message #55083] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes' I followed one blog directly concerned with home schooling; but it was as you say mostly religous in nature. Another thing is I downloaded copies of the standardised testing they are using in my kids school. The blog divulged the topics sequentially and truthfully they were about two years behind. What the kids here are doing in eight grade they were doing in tenth. See; the homeschool associations have a incentive to provide the best grades they can in their quest for legitimacy. But the SAT scores don't reflect that. Now these studies were done in Kansas where there is considerable pressure from home schoolers on the mainstream since there are so many of them in that state. So I don't know how that relates to where you are. But perusing the link you gave me I can see that they are definately lagging in how and when they present topics.

Re: ManualBlock - Continued from below - Home Schooling [message #55085 is a reply to message #55084] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Manual,

If you are interested in some statistics check out link below. I just found this link just now when I read your post above. I know nothing of the site (And frankly I just skimmed through it). I just googled home-schooling vs Public test scores. I found the site. However I have read the results many many times. Home schooled children do much better on "standardized tests". I don't know about SAT scores but would assume they are similar.

I really don't want to get into the home school vs public school debate. That said I think it's pretty clear that academically home schooled children do much better than their public schooled counterparts. If you can find a link to anything saying otherwise I would be interested in reading it.

That said, I will admit that it wasn't so long ago that I thought home schooling was crazy. Then I was pretty much forced to do it. Experience has taught me that I was wrong in a big way on this subject.

Re: ManualBlock - Continued from below - Home Schooling [message #55086 is a reply to message #55085] Mon, 06 March 2006 12:05 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; I'm sorry you see it as a debate. I just have an interest in it. It's not like politics or music where you take a point of veiw and defend it. It just is what it is. I only read about it due to my personal interest and because I have kids in school; I like to know whats what.
I hope it works out for you with your boys. If you want to seek more info I would be glad to communicate on that issue; but I don't really see it as a debate. There are so many variables regarding testing and scoring that it is hard to pin down any absolutes; consequently a debate is probably non-productive.

Previous Topic: As a parent of two autistic children this made me cry....
Next Topic: Say Mr V; where'd you go?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 07:43:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout