Home » xyzzy » Tower » Judge Alito
Judge Alito [message #55003] Thu, 02 February 2006 07:59 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Look back in the posts; I had a feeling this guy was not going to be anyones pushover and I said it. He just did not behave like a toady in the past; look at his record as a prosecutor in Jersey. And he is bright unlike some others on the court.
The first ruling and he already does the right thing. Where's he from again?

Re: Judge Alito [message #55004 is a reply to message #55003] Thu, 02 February 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
MB,

He's from Trenton, NJ. A brief bio is linked.

I agree with you. He's obviously not going to be Justice Brennan, but I was frankly confused as to why the Democrats went after him so fiercely. Their attacks were downright embarrassing and made them look foolish. I took the time to read about a half dozen of his most controversial (according to the Democrats) opinions, and they were all models of cautious and careful legal analysis. I didn't detect an agenda at all.

BTW, who on the Court do you think of as not "bright"?

More [message #55005 is a reply to message #55004] Thu, 02 February 2006 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I'm linking to a post by law prof Orin Kerr, reporting and briefly speculating on Alito's first SCOTUS vote, continuing a stay that prevents Missouri from executing a death-row inmate by lethal injection.

If you take look at the post, click through on the words "my theory", which will take you to a second post entitled "How Conservative Is Samuel Alito?" Professor Kerr's guess "is that Alito is less conservative -- both politically and methodologically -- than a lot of people seem to think," and he explains why.

Re: More [message #55006 is a reply to message #55005] Thu, 02 February 2006 16:34 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for these links. I plan on reading them tonight along with the transcript of his opinion.

Previous Topic: Some Things Never Change . . .
Next Topic: Judge Alito and death Penalty cases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 13:55:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout