Home » xyzzy » Tower » Bush nominates trouble
Bush nominates trouble [message #54810] Mon, 31 October 2005 20:32 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Smart move; get into a good ideological battle to galvanise the troops and dominate the media. Take the spotlight off of all the dead in Iraq and the outing of Valerie Plame wich amounted to a thinly veiled attempt to find her dead.

One Liberal's Positive View of Alito [message #54815 is a reply to message #54810] Tue, 01 November 2005 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
MB,

The Democrats -- and you -- do yourselves a disservice by blindly condemning Judge Alito. No, he is not the judge that President Kerry would have nominated, but by all accounts he's a brilliant, thoughtful and conscientious jurist. I've read several of his opinions, including his opinion in the spousal consent abortion case, and what come across is a judge trying to reconcile and apply the often complicated, confused and confusing pronouncements made by the Supremes, not an ideologue bent on achieving a particular result.

For starters, take a look a the linked article.

Re: One Liberal's Positive View of Alito [message #54816 is a reply to message #54815] Tue, 01 November 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks; thats a respectfull and serious point you make and a good link. I would ask if you want a reply to that post?

I would like to say one thing; all Americans are by definition liberals since we live in a liberal democracy. Think of what you would call ourselves if the term liberal democracy never entered our philosophy of Government. Since no one seems to know anymore what a conservative actually means or is then it seems we are stuck with a one sided approach to defining our form of government dictated by the media. Anyone who wants to know what a conservative is read William F. Buckley; who denies this current administration has any conservative legitimacy at all.

Corrected Link [message #54819 is a reply to message #54815] Wed, 02 November 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Maybe my computer's gone wonky, but when I clicked on the link in my post above, it took me to the wrong site. I'm therefore re-posting the link.

Re: Corrected Link [message #54821 is a reply to message #54819] Thu, 03 November 2005 01:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I thought about that when he was nominated and I liked his personal reading of the law in those cited cases but I don't trust anyone or any position taken by this administration. They may know what we don't. So I personally would like a broader reach in personal philosophy on the part of a nominee.
I don't favor this nominating judges to pander to the special interest religous lobby.

Previous Topic: Story of A sick boy
Next Topic: I Think I like this guy Alito
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 08:45:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout