Home » xyzzy » Tower » McAfee AVERT Stinger
McAfee AVERT Stinger [message #53854] Wed, 28 January 2004 04:20 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you're bugged by the latest prank virus stuff, download McAfee's Stinger v.1.9.8 for free here. It's the current version, created January 27, 2004, and specifically updated for the W32/MyDoom@MM and W32/Dumaru.y@MM viruses that have been running around the internet yesterday and today.

You can also click on this link later, at any time, to get the latest Anti Virus Emergency Response Team (AVERT) scanner.

Re: McAfee AVERT Stinger [message #53856 is a reply to message #53854] Wed, 28 January 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I get about 30 spam emails a day the for the last year :P

A lot of them are viruses. I know well enough to just not open them though. It's quite obvious that theres a huge possibility of attachments from random people being a virus. It intrigues me how so many people open stuff like .pif .scr or whatever attachments, any attachments from a person you don't know. Are people really this dumb? Apparantly :P

IMO, virus scanning software isn't enough. You need latest anti-virus software AND firewall's to stop hackers. I have had hackers attack my PC through open ports completely unknown to me, it's exceedingly easy for a hacker to take control of any PC connected to the web and run stuff on your PC without the need for them to trick you into running it, like email attachments. They can do it all by themselves.

Microsoft Windows XP has a built in firewall which blocks all incoming stuff on every port. It doesn't block outgoing stuff, but obviously incoming is the major threat. It makes your computer completely invisible to the internet.

There are other firewalls which block outgoing stuff to. Unless you run something from a hacker on your computer though which sends stuff out, like trojans do, to block outgoing is not necessary. So just don't run anything from random people.

I use Norton Anvi-virus 2004 and WinXP firewall. I used to get a lot of attacks without the firewall, but have not had a problem since I enabled it.

Don't know about other brands, but Norton's anti-virus has an Auto-protect feature which scans every file that you run, before opening it. Have both these things and your PC should be pretty much 100% protected.

Re: McAfee AVERT Stinger [message #53857 is a reply to message #53856] Thu, 29 January 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I get tons of spam too. Above that, I've noticed about 20 "mydoom" E-Mails a day for the past couple of days. This was about the same rate as the last few similar attacks, and they seemed to have the highest rate for about two or three days, and then trickle off for the next week.

Any time I see something that encourages me to open an attachment, I always delete it. But still, I suspected that there were probably some people here that got bit - Even if you don't click "open," maybe a wife, girlfriend, brother, sister or parent might.

How many "mydoom" E-Mails have you received in the last couple of days?

Re: McAfee AVERT Stinger [message #53860 is a reply to message #53857] Sat, 31 January 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hmmm, I really couldn't count 'em Wayne!

Seems like I've been getting them forever!

It gets annoying when I have to keep clicking the "delete" button. Maybe I'll just click the "open" button next time, so I'm ensured I'll never have to click delete again, or any other key once my PC gets infected :P

Re: McAfee AVERT Stinger [message #53861 is a reply to message #53860] Sat, 31 January 2004 10:10 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I was gettin' tons of "mydoom" E-Mails in the middle of the week, but now it's down to one or two a day.

Previous Topic: DUI Laws
Next Topic: America's Space Program
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 22:48:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout