Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Alpha 10 modeling
Re: Alpha 10 modeling [message #70528 is a reply to message #70527] Tue, 20 December 2011 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
The revised response curve looks exactly like you had advised, quite flat with a smooth extended drop off. Also, at the SPL's I listen at the response is comfortably under xmax > 35Hz.

Understand I was in no way questioning the 2pi tower design or how it sounds, just trying to get a handle on sim's. When I saw what modeled xmax was doing I was a little shocked, which peaked my curiousity to understand it.

Thanks for the education. I'll feel a bit more comfortable now in using these programs, as I try to re-purpose some Peerless 12" SLS woofers into modal smoothing duty Smile .
Re: Alpha 10 modeling [message #70529 is a reply to message #70528] Tue, 20 December 2011 21:45 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's good to talk through stuff like this. That's what these forums are for.

I've designed some speakers that are price-no-object statement speakers, and I've gone to great lengths to reduce distortion to best-of-class levels. I've made some others that are good value speakers, providing good sound at a moderate price. And I have some models that are in between too.

The Alpha drivers used in the one π and two π models are value speakers that I think offer good bang for the buck. They are clear and delicate but not fragile, by any means. The one π and two π speakers are able to play a whole lot louder than most studio monitors and single driver speakers while offering superior clarity and detail. They're great for bedroom systems and surrounds. And you can push them pretty hard without making them sound strained. So for my way of thinking, they're perfect for that sort of offering.

If you're looking for less than 1% distortion at several hundred watts (and well over 100dB), I can provide that for you. Even at bass frequencies. But that kind of performance naturally costs more. For a hundred dollar kit, I don't think there's a better product out there than the little one π and two π speakers. They offer detail and accuracy, and enough dynamic range to make plenty of sound. Don't need a lot of power to do it either.

Previous Topic: 1 Pi Plans
Next Topic: 1 π plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 07:30:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout