Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What should i buy: Pi Seven/JBL drivers or a Klipschorn?
What should i buy: Pi Seven/JBL drivers or a Klipschorn? [message #51819] Thu, 14 February 2008 03:59 Go to next message
dtor is currently offline  dtor
Esquire
Hi

I wonder should i buy a pair of two yrs old Pi Seven's (all three drivers are JBL's with a high performance crossover) or a pair of stock but 23yrs old Klipschorn's? Which one of these two sets has a better sound, which one would be a better buy?

Thanks a lot
dtor

Klipschorn vs seven π cornerhorn [message #51822 is a reply to message #51819] Thu, 14 February 2008 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the Klipschorn is a fine speaker that sounds good in spite of its warts. It was designed in the 1940's. That's impressive to me, all by itself.

On the other hand, a folded basshorn used to 400Hz is not a good idea. Middle "C" on a piano is 260Hz. Think of that. You have most of the fundamental range of voices going through all that wood in the passageways of a Klipschorn. That's what makes voices sound kind of resonant in a Klipschorn. The panels become a sounding board, making voices sound unnatural.

This and other things have been improved using the π cornerhorn design:

• Woofer is acoustically closer to midrange for better integration
  • Midhorn is larger and allows lower crossover
  • Midhorn covers the entire vocal range
  • Midhorn/tweeter crossover is optimized for better summing
  • All horns provide constant directivity of 90°
  • Crossover is optimized to maintain constant directivity through crossover regions
  • Reverberent field is more uniform because of constant directivity

Re: Klipschorn vs seven π cornerhorn [message #51825 is a reply to message #51822] Thu, 14 February 2008 22:42 Go to previous message
dtor is currently offline  dtor
Esquire
Wayne your answer was very helpful and I thank you very much for it

All the best
dtor

Previous Topic: 12 Pi v2
Next Topic: Pi speaker highs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:24:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects