Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » plan request & pi alignment Q
plan request & pi alignment Q [message #51416] Sun, 23 September 2007 04:36 Go to next message
the_reflex is currently offline  the_reflex
Esquire
Hello Wayne,

first of all congratulations for the original designs.
May I have the plans for the theater 3 an 4 please? I want to build a 3 way system with lateral woofer, 12" midrange and horn tweeter and I'm interested to test your pi alignment theory.

I have a few more question:

1. how much influence have the proportions of H/W/D for the final result of the bass?
2. If I don't have so much space can I made a front baffle a little bit narrow? If so, how much is the tollerance (10-20%) ?
3. I have noticed that you use speakers with higher Qts that usually (or in theory) are not suitable for the reflex application - especially the eminence. Is this the "secret" to obtain a deep bass and high efficiency from a PA speaker?

Thank You in advance!

A.

Re: plan request & pi alignment Q [message #51417 is a reply to message #51416] Mon, 24 September 2007 08:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The internal dimensions of the cabinet have very little to do with response in most models, as they are bass reflex speakers. The tuning mechanism is Helmholtz resonation. An exception is the tower two π speaker, which is tall enough to develop standing waves that could affect response. The position of the drivers and port are important in this model, as is the position of damping material inside. These prevent standing wave nodes from causing response anomalies.

As for motor Q, most of the smaller cabinets have woofers with low Q. Models with relatively high Q drivers need larger boxes for proper damping.

Previous Topic: four pi speaker.
Next Topic: 2/3s of 7Pi's done
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 20 18:26:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout