Home » Audio » Speaker » BEYMA TPL 150
BEYMA TPL 150 [message #51157] Wed, 30 May 2007 18:26 Go to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Beyma just came out with this new ribbon tweeter (99 dB).
Pleated Diaphragm Tweeter
Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #51158 is a reply to message #51157] Thu, 31 May 2007 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That driver looks great! Almost too good to be true. I might have to get one of those and measure it. Thanks for mentioning it here!

Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #51159 is a reply to message #51158] Fri, 01 June 2007 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I can see (invision) your new tweeter for the ?new? monitor series (Pi).
It is good and I have no doubt that will sell. (Do you) Remember what you said about the piezo (low impedance curve almost not affecting at Fs) ?
Best Regards.

Hot Damn! [message #51160 is a reply to message #51157] Fri, 01 June 2007 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wonder how much this baby sells for.
-akhilesh

Re: Hot Damn! [message #51161 is a reply to message #51160] Fri, 01 June 2007 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
We will know very soon, akhilesh. Don't worry. The thing now, besides price, is how it sounds and how it compares with the mainstream and with horns also in linearrays. (80W with 99dB) . I wonder what is coming on...

Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #74693 is a reply to message #51158] Sat, 01 December 2012 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nelson Bass
Baron

Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 23:41

That driver looks great! Almost too good to be true. I might have to get one of those and measure it. Thanks for mentioning it here!

Hi Wayne

Did you ever try the TPL150? Where do you think it will be usable in your range of loudspeakers?

Some people seems to prefer the TPL150 over compression drivers:

http://www.groundsound.com/GalleryPeterK.php
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?59949-Beyma-TPL-150-AMT-the-ultimate-driver-whats-the-catch
Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #74696 is a reply to message #74693] Sat, 01 December 2012 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's a good ribbon, as ribbons go. For speakers that are designed with no particular directivity in mind, they're very nice. But they aren't for me.

I considered ribbons for my smallest speakers at one time. But I would have never used them for the ones that have waveguides in them. I love the sound of ribbons, and I always have. But they're no match for a good waveguide with compression driver.
Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #74720 is a reply to message #74696] Sun, 02 December 2012 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nelson Bass
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I know a local speaker guru who also love the ribbon drivers but no matter how expensive the ribbon driver he worked with he never succeeded a perfect integration with a midrange driver...

I'll stick to your proven designs and tweaks afterwards.
Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #74736 is a reply to message #51157] Tue, 04 December 2012 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sscholl is currently offline  sscholl
Esquire
A key attribute to this driver is it's predominent 2nd order harmonic that is fairly flat across the range and the higher orders are nicely lower.

I think a driver with predominent flat 2nd order harmonic could be a key to that sweet sound some of us like. Very few domes have that attribute. SB29s, TB 3"ers and a few high dollar jobbers are in the minority.
Re: BEYMA TPL 150 [message #74754 is a reply to message #74736] Thu, 06 December 2012 10:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think ribbon distortion is probably on-par with other direct radiators. A good high-quality ribbon is probably capable of low distortion like a cone/dome speaker with a shorting ring. They can come close to the low-distortion of a horn, but rarely better. The reason is simple - the horn loading reduces excursion, reducing distortion often by a factor of 10x.

I always liked ribbons because they are so clear and crisp. I think it's mostly their extension though that people notice. I find I also like the sound of some horn loaded "super-tweeters", again, I think mostly because of their extension.

Back when the compression drivers would only hit 10kHz, I didn't care for them much because of their lack of extension. To me they sounded like paper cone tweeters only they could get much louder. Their lack of extension made them sound too dull.

But these days, any modern compression driver will reach 15kHz and most of the better ones will get to 18kHz or more. That's not quite the extension of a ribbon, but it is definitely crisp sounding and I think it's very satisfying. That, plus their direcivity characteristics and the fact that they are so efficient, make them a much better choice, in my opinion.

Previous Topic: Speakers that surprised you
Next Topic: The Subwoofer thing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:50:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout