Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio 2 Tower -- Theater 3 hybrid experiment
Studio 2 Tower -- Theater 3 hybrid experiment [message #50838] Fri, 16 March 2007 15:24 Go to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
This hybrid will consist of the Studio 2's Vifa DX25, and the Theater 3's Eminence Delta 12LF and in a Studio 2 Tower sized cabinet with similar "minimal crossover”. Port sizing will be determined experimentally, staring with sims from WinISD.

I am hoping an appropriate inductor can tame the 12LF’s response peek before its natural roll off (as done for the Alpha 10).
What inductance range would be reasonable? Would a slightly more complex notch filter be required?
Some suggestions for adjusting the DX25’s capacitor (and possibly resistor) to move its roll off to better match with that of the 12LF (about 3500 Hz?) would also be helpful.

I know I really should acquire and learn P-spice to figure this out myself (and I plan to eventually), but I am far more excited about this experiment than P-spice right now.

I am also aware that the published efficiency of the 12LF is notably higher that the DX25, but I will pair each with better matches in the future if this hybrid doe not work out to my liking (or my son’s).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Studio 2 Tower -- Theater 3 hybrid experiment [message #50839 is a reply to message #50838] Sat, 17 March 2007 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Since you're essentially doing what some call a 2.5-way system, the crossover between woofer and midwoofer isn't critical. The main thing that's important is that crossover be done before the frequency where woofer and midwoofer are 1/4λ apart. I'd crossover around 100Hz to 200Hz with a 5mH to 10mH coil.

I miscommunicated [message #50840 is a reply to message #50839] Sat, 17 March 2007 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
Perhaps I should have called it a Studio 2 Tower with Delta 12LF "instead of" Alpha 10.

I have all the divers for what you describe, but I expected I would need a much larger cabinet for such a 2.5-way. Is that correct?

But this gives me another idea:
Alpha 6A in its own sealed 9 liter chamber with NO crossover coponents to cover 200Hz to 5000Hz, DX25 as configured in Studio 2 for above 5000Hz, Delta 12LF in ported 100-120 liter chaber rolled off as you sugest for below 200Hz.

Sharing appartment walls with neighbors, my son hasn't the need for extreme efficiency and max SPL available from the horn-loadd systems

I'll probably try all these options eventually, but am curious as to what you would suggest first.

Thanks again.

Re: I miscommunicated [message #50841 is a reply to message #50840] Sat, 17 March 2007 23:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see what you mean now. You wanted to make a two-way speaker with a Delta 12LFA and a Vifa DX25. It might work, but it might be too much a stretch. I haven't really looked into it. I do know the Delta 12LFA works very nicely together with a PSD2002, and crossover to a DX25 isn't much higher in frequency, so it might work. If you try it, let us know how it works out.

You could also make a three-way or a so-called 2.5 way speaker. The mid-driver doesn't have to be used at deep bass frequencies, so the box surrounding it doesn't have to be large. Put a small internal cabinet for the mid-driver inside the main cabinet. You can easily make a cabinet less than 5ft3 that contains a Delta 12LFA and a midrange driver and cabinet and a tweeter.

Previous Topic: R13??
Next Topic: Damping stuff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 01 15:15:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout