Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » more Pentode sacrelige
more Pentode sacrelige [message #9886] Thu, 04 January 2007 17:11 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
or so it might look anyway, if this stuff could be related to religious fanatacism...:)

I built a linestage with a power pentode. It sounds better than any of the triode circuits I have played with. The pentode is a 6AV5GA. Screen grid is shunt regulated at 75V. The plate load is a 750R resistor. As usual there is a single input and output. B+ runs ~200V, perhaps a bit less due to rectifier drop( depending on 5R4 or 5AR4 and a few inbetween ). It idles at power-amp levels of 55 mA each.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: more Pentode sacrelige [message #9890 is a reply to message #9886] Mon, 15 January 2007 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quinnling is currently offline  Quinnling
Esquire
Pak,

I'm a big fan of pentode gain stages. Some of my favorite amps(Futterman H3AA, WE91 Clone, power amp section of Dyna SCA35) uses the much maligned pentode. It may not be as accurate as a triode, but there is something in the mid-range and "jump" factor in the music. I was once chastised on technical merit on liking a pentode gain satge... but then again that what they said about SETs.

Thanks for sharing your experiencde on "road less taken".

Quinnling

Re: more Pentode sacrelige [message #9901 is a reply to message #9886] Sun, 28 January 2007 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Douglas,

Would you be willing to share a schematic of this latest sacrelige?

I am sure that many people would be interested in experimenting.

A schematic with a power supply would be nice over in the projects forum?

Norris

Re: more Pentode sacrelige [message #9911 is a reply to message #9886] Sun, 11 February 2007 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisL is currently offline  ChrisL
Chancellor
The plate load is 750R? Perhaps you mean 7.5K ?

Any problems with microphony? Quiet? What kind of gain do you get?

you read right the first! [message #9913 is a reply to message #9911] Mon, 12 February 2007 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
It is indeed 750 Ohms. Since I don't need much gain, or output swing, I used a low plate load. Remember that for transconductance devices like pentodes the stage gain is ~gm*Plate-load.

The g2 voltage is 75V, and gm is published for that OP. The bias is ~5.5V established with a 100R cathode resistor. Actual plate V is about 150 as dropped from a B+ of ~200. I may even try a lower value plate load...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Re: you read right the first! [message #9914 is a reply to message #9913] Mon, 12 February 2007 10:11 Go to previous message
ChrisL is currently offline  ChrisL
Chancellor
Neat. I have some 6AV5s lying around - when I build my next pre I may give it a try.

Love my 12B4 parafeed pre, but finding non-microphinc 12B4s has been a real pain.

No problem with pentodes/tetrodes here. I run 6CA7's or EL34s single ended in my parafeed 6B4 amp when the material calls for it. They really perked up my disc of "Green Onions" on Saturday!

Working up a 6688 driver for my 300b amp.

Previous Topic: Nuera 3403SE
Next Topic: arent these..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:59:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout