Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Have to tell you about Obbligato capacotors
Have to tell you about Obbligato capacotors [message #9825] Sun, 17 September 2006 17:26 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I replaced the MKP signal caps, 6 in all with these aluminum foil caps from Diyhifisupply (shit! That's a typing test!) IN a Jolida 202A.

Just the change to film 'n foil has to have benefit but I'm hearing the same sort of improvement that I would expect from the 3X more $$$ Auricaps.

Damn fine little amp. Now.

Re: Warning! Warning! Beware of Capacotors! And their Minions! [message #9826 is a reply to message #9825] Sun, 17 September 2006 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Have to tell you about Obbligato capacotors [message #9827 is a reply to message #9825] Mon, 18 September 2006 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I wish there would be a serious discussion on caps. I have replaced and restored and re-capped lots of equipment. I now am not so sure they do anything that really helps the sound once you have decent caps installed. Now I have a shelf of oil and mundorf and auricaps and Jensen and others and I just use Orange Drop 716's for all my re-build amps. Can't say there is any real lack of quality of sound using them 2$ caps.
I wish I could becuase caps are relatively inexpensive compared to other parts and if they made a serious difference it would be a great way to improve an amp. Easy to do and reasonably cheap.
Alas; it doesn't seem to go that way.
Could be my ears; I don't know. Maybe in the PS it works better. But coupling caps? Drops sound good to me. And filter caps; I don't hear any real noticeable difference.
I am not disputing your experience; I would love to be able to justify the expense.

Re: Caps are funny [message #9828 is a reply to message #9827] Mon, 18 September 2006 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can clearly hear the diff between Clarity(overly bright) and Auricaps but Kimbers and Mundorf Supremes sound about the same in the 4 Pi series cap position. Which is just a little bit more detailed than Auricaps and not quite as sweet.
Solens sound pretty much like the MKP's of which the Orange Drops are one?

I don't have any experience with sub'ng power supply electrolytics and foils. But I did notice a definite, lengthy break-in progression with Blackgates in the Audio Note Kit 1 power supply. Not merely the brain adjusting but timbral differences.
What the Obbligato's do is sound good over all the octaves with a wider and deeper soundstage than the MKP's. For $2 and $3 a pop.

Re: Caps are funny [message #9829 is a reply to message #9828] Mon, 18 September 2006 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's going to be hard to shplain the things we hear now once the aural adjustment hypothesis takes hold. Everything will hinge on exactly what you said regarding brain adjusting. And for all I know that just might be the case after all; hard to believe though.
I notice a difference with the oils in coupling caps and that seems to be a nice change from the drops. But then I find if I like the amps sound then I like all the caps in it; just different sounds. The oils sometimes seem to be more spacious. I mean I know there is a difference I just don't know for sure if something is better in a particular circuit.

Re: Have to tell you about Obbligato capacitors [message #9833 is a reply to message #9827] Mon, 25 September 2006 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
Do you have any Jensen copper foil .22uf, 600v you want to sell cheap?

Re: Have to tell you about Obbligato capacotors [message #9837 is a reply to message #9825] Thu, 28 September 2006 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drwkng is currently offline  drwkng
Esquire
Obbligato is also MKP. they are not foil.

Re: "Dry film caps" [message #9838 is a reply to message #9837] Tue, 03 October 2006 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The question was asked on the DIYHifisupply forum and Brian Cherry's answer was that the type I used were "dry film caps". Is that the same as metallised polyproylene?

Re: "Dry film caps" [message #9839 is a reply to message #9838] Wed, 04 October 2006 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drwkng is currently offline  drwkng
Esquire
"Is that the same as metallised polyproylene?"

yes, the film is a metallised polypropylene film.

Re: I'm confused [message #9840 is a reply to message #9839] Mon, 09 October 2006 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought metallised polypropylene were also known as MKP and were those lemon/green/brown/orange drop things. 3 fer a dollar.

Previous Topic: Looking At NOS EL 34's...!
Next Topic: Trannie DCR's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:31:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout