Home » Audio » Source » The End of Koetsu
The End of Koetsu [message #97579] Mon, 01 April 2024 00:59 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
Koetsu cartridge is defunct. As reported by Facebook Koetsu Users. Another one bites the dust.
Re: The End of Koetsu [message #97580 is a reply to message #97579] Mon, 01 April 2024 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
How many Koetsu carts do you have? I don't have any. Or any other high end cartridge. If it were Audio Technica, Ortofon or other budget and mid level cartridge makers. It would be concerning. I read that it was a family decision at Koetsu to end production. Maybe age related, economics or both. They were at the top of the top in that rarified business. Everything done by hand no doubt. But way, way above my threshold paying for such a thing. Sayonara Koetsu.
Re: The End of Koetsu [message #97590 is a reply to message #97579] Thu, 04 April 2024 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I understand that some sort of product line deletions are going on at Grado as well. fewer in the lower price range apparently. Issues with OEM stylus as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The End of Koetsu [message #97593 is a reply to message #97590] Fri, 05 April 2024 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The Grado Prestige line, (I have a red) has tapered down to three. They eliminated the cheapest, the black, the blue and the silver. It was superfluous having all these colors that essentially all have the same stylus mounted on them. Grado's shell game of marketing. Going with the schtick of their color coded grading system.
My least enjoyable cartridge. That stylus is not a good tracker.
Re: The End of Koetsu [message #97598 is a reply to message #97593] Fri, 05 April 2024 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I had a pair of golds and they were OK. Now I use a Sonata II. Paired with a 370H Jelco arm on an Empire 598 it really sings. None of the possible issues that some folks report. Really sweet, quiet and tracks perfectly. YMMV My go to player. For a change up the other TT in use is a diy made from a Dual 701 drive/control system (full manual) with another 370H and a Dynavevtor Ruby Karat 23-MR-RS. A rather energetic sound.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The End of Koetsu [message #97604 is a reply to message #97598] Fri, 05 April 2024 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I read it has a nudie on it. The Prestige line all have that big bonded styli. Some have said on the Vinyl Engine that under scrutiny from retippers an unimpressive stylus. I briefly contemplated retipping the red I have. Very briefly knowing what it would cost. The Grado I have is the only cart I have that is problematic in tracking using my 1200 MK5. Using AT's, ADC, Ortofon's, Denon, Stanton's, Pickering, Excel, Empire, Panasonic, Nagaoka. I gave up fiddling with it.
Re: The End of Koetsu [message #97606 is a reply to message #97604] Sat, 06 April 2024 21:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi The Sonata and higher Grados seem to be different animals from the lower ones. Mine tracks the Analog Productions Ultra test LP fine. A scope shows no issues at all levels. My sense is that the cartridges may be more sensitive to arms and set up than might be common. I use a Jelco 370H (9") with a 1.5 gram VTF and just a little less on AS. It is set with a Baerwald alignment. The damping on the arm is at nearly minimum. I didn't test any of the other Grados that I had (all sold off now) but I really didn't notice any audible tracking issues with them either. Possibly synergy between the arms and the cartridges. Don't know and above my pay grade. YMMV

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:33:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio