Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Prime streaming, now with commercials
Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97498] Mon, 11 March 2024 04:27 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Is anyone else seeing commercials while watching Prime Video? Amazon keeps telling me that I need to pay a few bucks each month to make them go away. Does that mean that Amazon cancelled my Prime subscription, or is this simply a new thing that Amazon is doing? Is there a way to make the ads disappear without paying a monthly fee? If you're wondering why I haven't asked their customer service department instead of asking here, it's because their chat agent button and customer service number are nowhere to be found. Amazon takes me to their FAQ page when I request help. It's an endless loop.
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97499 is a reply to message #97498] Mon, 11 March 2024 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
And that ought to tell you what you'll have to do. Pony up the extra cash and do their bidding. I get by without subscription streaming. What I've seen of it confirms me keeping that going.
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97501 is a reply to message #97499] Mon, 11 March 2024 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I remember when Amazon announced that. It's like three bucks a month or something. They also seem to have a lot more content that requires payment or an external subscription than they used to have. Death by a thousand cuts.

I guess it's like most everything else. A decade ago, "cable cutting" really saved some cash. You could cancel your cable TV and go streaming and save probably a hundred bucks a month. Lots of streaming content was free, and the paid services like Netflix were pretty cheap. The only catch was you needed to have a really good internet connection to get good video content, especially on multiple televisions throughout the house. So back then, your video streaming cost was mostly the cost of your internet connection, with maybe a little more for any subscription you might choose.

But now, I think we're drifting back to something similar to the old cable TV model, where you pay for every premium network as a streaming service. The costs are about the same too. It doesn't take long to add up - just a few networks and you're up to the cost of the old cable service you got away from a decade or so ago.

I kinda miss the old three-network rabbit-ear days.
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97549 is a reply to message #97498] Thu, 21 March 2024 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Well, I finally gave up and paid the monthly ransom, but I'm still seeing ads on some shows. So be forewarned that paying up might not make a difference. I wish Amazon had given me a warning about the change before I renewed my Prime subscription. How did you all hear about it?
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97551 is a reply to message #97549] Thu, 21 March 2024 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You have been assimilated by the Amazon Borg. Resistance is futile. You'll either get the monkey off your back eventually or just keep paying more for less. That's the business plan.
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97554 is a reply to message #97551] Thu, 21 March 2024 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, you knew it would happen. Cable is not cheap, but since it is also my internet, land line phone and video monitoring the budle is reasonable. To be sure content is getting funky as they try to get you to stream. No thanks I'll sit this one out.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97557 is a reply to message #97498] Sun, 24 March 2024 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think I read about it on Wired. Unfortunately, you'll still see commercials when you watch one of the Freevee shows, and it's hard to tell the difference between the two. Amazon owns both, of course. I won't be renewing my subscription when it's up again. It takes about a week to get my orders now, and they've seriously downgraded both the music and show options that are included with Prime.
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97558 is a reply to message #97557] Sun, 24 March 2024 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's the curse of finance capitalism. It engineers revenue streams. The rates for pay subscription TV has risen to what the monopolies can sustain people paying for. Content costs vs rate fee's are flat now. Thus, lack of new content. The writers and actors strike probably put a dent in their content costs also. Americans need the distraction of entertainment from all the bad global and domestic news and patterns of diminishment of the American dream floundering these days. But don't expect it to be free to view or free of commercials you have to endure to watch.
Like the movie, The Big Lebowski. We want the money Lebowski!
Re: Prime streaming, now with commercials [message #97596 is a reply to message #97498] Fri, 05 April 2024 09:32 Go to previous message
AcousticJack is currently offline  AcousticJack
Baron
Yes, I think they started with the ads around new year. I don't use Prime Video myself, but I have Alexa. Sometimes it's impossible to get her to stop trying to sell me new stuff. It's annoying.
Previous Topic: Oscars 2024
Next Topic: Rebel Moon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:48:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout