Home » xyzzy » Tower » Quote about traveling
Quote about traveling [message #97450] Thu, 22 February 2024 16:43 Go to next message
Mulcahy is currently offline  Mulcahy
Chancellor
Ralph Waldo Emerson in 1841:

Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go.

What parts of this do you like/dislike? I'm so-so on the first sentence (kind of strong, but I think I get it), enjoy what he says in middle, and really like that last sentence.
Re: Quote about traveling [message #97465 is a reply to message #97450] Wed, 28 February 2024 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's like that 80's phrase. "Wherever you go... There you are". You can't escape, (If travel is some means of doing so) your hang-up's and personal foibles.

But I like Mark Twins quote on travel.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
Re: Quote about traveling [message #97467 is a reply to message #97465] Wed, 28 February 2024 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Wherever you go... There you are."

I like that one. Smile
Re: Quote about traveling [message #97468 is a reply to message #97467] Wed, 28 February 2024 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"Wherever you go... There you are."

I like that one.

Peter Weller in the Movie Buckaroo Banzai made that phrase a little more famous that it was back then. A fun, zany movie based on a comic book I think. Worth checking out.
Real good cast. Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii9n8CMpLMk
Re: Quote about traveling [message #97469 is a reply to message #97468] Thu, 29 February 2024 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side...except when you have to mow it. Similar thought process. There are several related phrases. You don't know what you have until you lose it and so on. I agree with nearly all such thoughts. I like to travel..but not to get away from anything, but instead to learn about new places and things. Home is always the best place for me.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Quote about traveling [message #97497 is a reply to message #97465] Sun, 10 March 2024 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mulcahy is currently offline  Mulcahy
Chancellor
Rusty wrote on Wed, 28 February 2024 09:42
It's like that 80's phrase. "Wherever you go... There you are". You can't escape, (If travel is some means of doing so) your hang-up's and personal foibles.

But I like Mark Twins quote on travel.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
Nice quotes. Agree 100% with the first, over 50% with the 2nd. Depends if you just want to see one thing, person, or event and then leave ASAP ...?
Re: Quote about traveling [message #97591 is a reply to message #97450] Thu, 04 April 2024 21:30 Go to previous message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
When I got to travel as a teenager and college kid, I mostly cared about partying. It makes me cringe when I'm reminded of it. But even so, I also did some sightseeing. Did the experiences make me a better person? Mixed feelings about that.
Previous Topic: Services and subs that remained valuable
Next Topic: House / Apartment Envy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:58:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout