Home » Audio » Source » Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers?  () 1 Vote
Re: Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers? [message #97434 is a reply to message #97433] Thu, 15 February 2024 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I thought that too...about 10 years ago. It sneaks up on you. Especially if you are like me and constantly trying to improve existing gear. Right now I am pushing for all the diy tube gear to at least meet a wide-band -95 S/N. Only the phono preamps are a little behind that goal (-88 t0 -90 depending on the variation). As you might guess I really hate hum and noise. If I can hear it or see it on a scope then it has to go regardless of how long it takes. BTW the very earliest phono preamps (ca 2010) were horrible at about -65. One variation could find a power transformer or other source of hum at 5 feet away. Yikes. Not any longer.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers? [message #97446 is a reply to message #97434] Tue, 20 February 2024 10:57 Go to previous message
kasperbergholt is currently offline  kasperbergholt
Baron
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 15 February 2024 20:58
Hi, I thought that too...about 10 years ago. It sneaks up on you. Especially if you are like me and constantly trying to improve existing gear. Right now I am pushing for all the diy tube gear to at least meet a wide-band -95 S/N. Only the phono preamps are a little behind that goal (-88 t0 -90 depending on the variation). As you might guess I really hate hum and noise. If I can hear it or see it on a scope then it has to go regardless of how long it takes. BTW the very earliest phono preamps (ca 2010) were horrible at about -65. One variation could find a power transformer or other source of hum at 5 feet away. Yikes. Not any longer.
I understand completely, but I'm a bit less picky, I think. What RIAA do you use now?
Previous Topic: Longest you've used a cartridge
Next Topic: The End of Koetsu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:01:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout