Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » My Coffee Pot Saga
My Coffee Pot Saga [message #97392] Fri, 26 January 2024 20:47 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. We like the way Bunn coffee makers work and have used them for some time. Unfortunately (and like many others) our very hard water causes them issues. Running vinegar through them fairly often helps but they usually get to a point where it is ineffective. They do make coffee but in the process hop and jump around and make a huge racket. Over a period of several years we have retired two of them already. So when the third one started to do the same thing I was to put it mildly furious. I have dissembled two already I was fairly familiar with the guts and as in the past there was nothing that would work as the problem was in the "boiler". This time I tried a new approach. My spouse just about died laughing when I told her what I called the procedure. Those of us over 70 will understand ...the rest of you will have to google "TURP". (BTW I had one last year and it was not a lot of fun) So I told her I TURPed the pot with a piece of Mogami wire. I stuffed about 18 inches of it into the output pipe and reamed it around. Voila.. it now works like normal. I am sure it is not a user recommended procedure but it apparently moved the crud inside away for the outlet tube. Very Happy

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: My Coffee Pot Saga [message #97393 is a reply to message #97392] Sat, 27 January 2024 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I had a BUNN too and done with. The boil chamber had a flap of sorts that a metal disc would pop open when the right temp. was achieved. Draining into the nice stainless tapered coffee holder and then on to the nice stainless carafe. No TURP procedure but regular disassembly to clean hard water deposits on the flapper. Eventually I ditched the whole big plastic contrivance to heat water but saved the nice stainless coffee holder and carafe. Now I just boil water on the stove and pour it into the coffee holder that sits on top of the carafe and it drains down into the carafe. Eazy Peazy.
I think the coffee is better now too.
Re: My Coffee Pot Saga [message #97395 is a reply to message #97393] Sat, 27 January 2024 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I think mine are a different type....they use only gravity to feed the water. Pour it in and it goes into the boiler and the already hot water leaves via a bottom tube to make coffee. The only moving part is a flapper valve that keeps the water in the upper tank while you fill it so that nothing will come out until you close the lid. Otherwise you would need two carafes.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: My Coffee Pot Saga [message #97397 is a reply to message #97395] Sun, 28 January 2024 06:36 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah. The issue I had with mine. That flapper. It's a metal disk that must be heat sensitive to activate, allowing the hot water to flow down into coffee filter and coffee. On to the carafe. The flap eventually wouldn't open to allow the hot water to flow down. Any how, now the Bunn is in manual operation. Me. I do think the coffee's better.
Previous Topic: Relentless Salespeople
Next Topic: Modern Monetary Theory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:03:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout