Home » Audio » Speaker » Tonies for kids
Tonies for kids [message #97275] Sun, 24 December 2023 08:00 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
My niece has been asking for one of these for her upcoming birthday. Are they just speakers for kids? How does it differ from the kids version of the Echo Dot? How is the sound quality? It seems like an expensive toy for what little technology you get.
Re: Tonies for kids [message #97283 is a reply to message #97275] Tue, 26 December 2023 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Do you remember Teddy Ruxpin? It was a toy bear that was popular in the mid-80s. You popped in a cassette tape and the bear sort of came to life, sang songs, and told stories. I'd say that Tonies are more similar to a Teddy Ruxpin than an Amazon Echo. Much like Teddy Ruxpin, the Toniebox needs characters to bring it to life. You pop the character on top of the box, and you'll hear stories and songs that are unique to that character's world. You can't use it like you would a radio or an IoT device; it's actually quite limited.

I assume that the sound quality is enough to please a child. Your young niece isn't likely to pick it apart for having too much reverb. She'll simply be delighted that Princess Jasmine is singing to her.
Re: Tonies for kids [message #97291 is a reply to message #97275] Fri, 29 December 2023 19:00 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Man, Teddy Ruxpin was creepy! I never had one, but I remember how bizarre it seemed. Nice analogy, though, Madison. I've read some more about Tonies and I see what you mean. I'm surprised that my niece wants one, but I guess I'll pony up the money and get it for her.
Previous Topic: Best brand for wireless speaker
Next Topic: Can speakers still compete?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:37:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout