Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced?
Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97251] Mon, 04 December 2023 10:02 Go to next message
DSD is currently offline  DSD
Esquire
This was an unfortunate development, but I managed to put my thumb through the dustcap of one of the JBL drivers when trying to mount it on the baffle. Does anyone have suggestions on where to get the dustcap replaced, preferably in the DC/MD/VA area?

Thanks,

Daniel
Re: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97252 is a reply to message #97251] Mon, 04 December 2023 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So sorry for your disappointment! I know exactly how that feels.

Do a search for "Authorized JBL Service Centers" on the east coast. Surely you'll find some. They can swap that dust cap and make it look exactly like new. Even the nice uniform glue bead around the cap will be duplicated.

If you can't find any - or even if you can - I can tell you that you can ship it to Tulsa and get perfect results. Reach out to David Miller at Speakerworks. His phone number is 918-664-6299. He'll fix the cone perfectly, and the cost is minimal. It'll cost you more to ship than it does to repair. But even shipping isn't too bad compared to the value of the driver.

To be honest, even though the cone repair will be perfect, I'd send both drivers anyway and ask him to swap the cap on both. This is purely for aesthetics and solely 'cause I'm picky. As a cone ages, the paper naturally bleaches, probably mostly from sunlight through nearby windows. They tend to fade very slowly and slightly from age. So even though the difference in gray will be marginal, for me, it stands out like it was painted purple. That's why I'd send 'em both to David to make sure they match in appearance.

The caps will be slightly darker than the cones, but the two drivers will match. Caps are usually a little darker than the cones even when brand new. So they'll look perfect.

I've been through this exercise a few times, so I feel your pain. But you'll be good as new in no time. Shipping is fairly quick - less than a week, even if sent ground - and the repair isn't a long process. So you'll be back in black pretty soon.
Re: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97253 is a reply to message #97252] Mon, 04 December 2023 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne:

Thanks. I finally found the JBL Pro technical support phone number, and they pointed me to a shop near Baltimore, so I won't have to ship them.

But I have another problem. One crossover has no output to the woofer. All the solder connections look okay to my eyeball. Do you have any suggestions on how to track down the problem? It is the crossover board where the inductor had become dislodged in shipping.

Thanks,

Daniel
Re: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97254 is a reply to message #97253] Mon, 04 December 2023 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So glad to hear that there is a repair center close to you!

As for the crossover, I think possibly one of the wires that connects the coil to the board is touching a land that it shouldn't. If it became dislodged, then it's possible that happened during re-attachment.

Can you take a photo of the crossover and send it to me via email or post it here on this thread?
Re: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97256 is a reply to message #97254] Wed, 06 December 2023 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne

It took me awhile to take the speaker apart. Here is a photo of the crossover from the top. Let me know what other view might be helpful.

Daniel

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3391&private=0
Re: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97257 is a reply to message #97256] Thu, 07 December 2023 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't see anything obvious, so I'll bet the problem is underneath a coil. That's the most common problem - they shift during shipping. I allow them to cure for a couple weeks, but I should probably let 'em cure longer.

Lift the middle coil, pulling it free, and see if that doesn't solve the problem. It may have shifted and one of its leads may be touching a PCB trace. If that does it, reattach with silicon adhesive.

If that doesn't do it, send it back to me. I'll fix it and get it back to you while your dust caps are being repaired.
Re: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced? [message #97261 is a reply to message #97257] Fri, 08 December 2023 12:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Update: We took this discussion offline and it turned out that it was, in fact, L3, the middle coil. The board took a hit during shipping, which had knocked loose coil L1, the one shown on the right in the photo above. Daniel re-attached it with silicon adhesive, as you can see in the photo. But it turned out that L3 had also shifted. Daniel lifted it and re-attached with silicon and he's back in business.

Now he's just waiting on the woofer cap repair and he'll be back in business. I hate setbacks like those 'cause they're so disappointing. But after working through them, it makes the end result so much sweeter! Smile
Previous Topic: Insulation Mistake/Question
Next Topic: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:02:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout