Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Changing The Government.
Changing The Government. [message #96934] Sun, 20 August 2023 15:26 Go to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
Does anyone believe that voting actually works anymore? I truly believe that the government itself needs a complete overhaul and start new from scratch, but I really don't believe that voting is the answer anymore.

How else can it be done?
Re: Changing The Government. [message #96935 is a reply to message #96934] Sun, 20 August 2023 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's unfortunate that issues that public consensus want's addressed are left to the political parties compromised by campaign finance and lobbying to thrust & parry with one another usually ending in stalemate. And a controversial Supreme Court is used to break the impasse. Taking the public out of the loop of any decision. I'm for ending the archaic electoral college for presidential elections. But that's one of those sticky wickets that gets the kibosh.

I also think by the length of my rant below this topic that our economic doctrine needs a complete restructuring.

I still vote though if none other than, don't bitch if you won't make some effort to exercise your suffrage.
Re: Changing The Government. [message #96959 is a reply to message #96935] Fri, 01 September 2023 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
We find ourselves in a "sticky wicket" A generally good system now in the hands of self serving individuals. The founding fathers likely envisioned that the leaders would be honorable and have the best interests of the country in mind. That doesn't seem to be the case. This is IMO something that has edged its way in over the past several years. Likely started around 1960 or so. No one individual or group is necessarily at fault. But we should collectively blame ourselves for not being engaged in what our government was doing and allowed it to erode into what it is now. How to get it back on track eludes me. I personally don't like any of the various proposals circulating. They all seem to be destructive not constructive. Just my two cents.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Changing The Government. [message #96960 is a reply to message #96959] Sat, 02 September 2023 03:17 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Probably the greatest development happening now in decades to have this country pause and take stock in itself. The BRICS initiative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/01/opinion/brics-expansion-america.html
Previous Topic: Depopulating Countries
Next Topic: Animals and Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:45:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers