Home » Audio » General » Life Was Simpler
Life Was Simpler [message #96811] Fri, 30 June 2023 20:50 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone...I suspect in one way or another all of us have encounted this problem. (it might go well elsewhere on the site too) When I had only one turntable and one cartridge and one amp and one set of speakers everything was simple. You turn it on and listen to the music. The second turntable complicated matters but not too much as an input selector switch fixed most of the problem. Yes there was some consternation as to which turntable to use but not horrible. Now with 6 turntables, about 10 cartridges, a reel to reel recorder, a CD/Blueray, an 3 FM tuners, a Cassette recorder, dedicated PC in the system, more aplifiers and preamplifiers that I can count (likely 20 of the first and 7-10 of the second) at least 5 phono preamps and only 6 main speakers and 3 subs life gets really complicated. Do I want to hear jazz, folk music, rock, vintage tapes, streaming ....ugh. I suspect this is the nature of an addicted audiophile. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96812 is a reply to message #96811] Sat, 01 July 2023 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You want an expansive, expensive hobby? Watch some of Jay leno's garage. I've noticed he does some kind of game show now. The obsession must be squeezing the lifestyle he's accoustomed to. Over on the Vinyl Engine, you know there's guys that dwarf your collection of gear probably. One in particular. He might be a boarderline hoarder. I think he claims over 20 someodd turntables.
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96815 is a reply to message #96812] Sat, 01 July 2023 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love Jay Leno's garage! And all the videos with David Freiburger & his buddies too.
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96817 is a reply to message #96815] Sat, 01 July 2023 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
His car collection is increadible. And worth a fortune no doubt. I like his 1938 Tatra T87. The Nazi killer. Guess they liked to open'r up on the Autobahn and the car though far ahead of it's time. Was nonetheless unstable at high speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2XyLgv-UQY

Slow down Schweinehund!
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96818 is a reply to message #96817] Sat, 01 July 2023 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks kinda like a Tucker, doesn't it?
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96819 is a reply to message #96818] Sat, 01 July 2023 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

But back to Bruce's topic - our car stuff wasn't too off-topic but maybe a little - I hear you on the quantity of audio gear. That's definitely a high-quality problem though. Too much is never enough!

For me, since I have several loudspeakers that I take to audio shows, they double-duty as personal gear for various rooms in the house. Or maybe that's their primary function and having various models to take to shows is their double-duty. Smile

It's nice to have great systems in several bedrooms and a couple home theater setups. This was especially true when all the kids were here. Now they're grown-up, but the guest room still is useful for a home hifi setup, as is the master bedroom, the office, the living room and the home theater room.
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96820 is a reply to message #96819] Sun, 02 July 2023 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've kind'a evolved into satiation with my lust for hifi. I have the speakers that fulfilled my ideals. The same with electronics. Especially turntable when I went DD. So I'm content now with it. Sounds great to me. And that was what drove me all along. About the only current collecting I've done is scouring ebay for good reasonably priced vintage phono cartridges, that can be upgraded or preserved with good stylus replacement. About a bakers dozen now.
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96821 is a reply to message #96820] Sun, 02 July 2023 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, my main system has been pretty stable for about 2 years now. Empire 598/Jelco370/Goldring 1042...DIY DD/Jelco370/Grado Sonata II, Akai R-R, NAK cassette, OPPO 83SE, passive preamp, 4 Oddblocks, Martin Logan ESLs, Altec Lansing 30 cm subs and a Behringer crossover (sand yeah...everyone should have some). A PC does the digital chores. So I guess I'm fairly content with the set up. I occasionally ponder what to upgrade but nothing comes to mind. My spouse suggests that when nothing coming to my mind there might be other issues. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96831 is a reply to message #96811] Thu, 06 July 2023 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yep. We just moved into our final home (I hope). I have a tiny room for all my guitars and amps, which is another money pit, as well as the audio stuff. All I have is low end equipment and I'm ready to sell nearly all of it off. I have a set of Art Arrays I need to drop, a NAD C320Bee amp with matching tuner, Carver 900 receiver and sonic holography unit, Sansui Au719 amp, old CD player yamaha or something, etc..... I want to start over with an all tube rig and a SS rig and be done. I have several tube preamp projects (aikido and Clarinet) with parts that need finished, two tube amps with parts that need done (ST-25 and EL34 Baby Huey), a MyRef Freman amp and another chip amp, another gutar amp (6F6), etc... I have most of the parts for all of these, just never get around to building them because I'm not sure were I'd put em. Uggg...
icon6.gif  Re: Life Was Simpler [message #96832 is a reply to message #96811] Thu, 06 July 2023 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam-Jones is currently offline  Adam-Jones
Esquire
less hectic, less demanding, or less burdened by modern challenges
Previous Topic: Gordon Lightfoot
Next Topic: Elevator Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:21:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio