Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tube amps on PC.
Tube amps on PC. [message #96794] Mon, 12 June 2023 21:23 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. Just on a lark I decided to try some tube amps on my PC. Quite a difference. Now to be sure the previous set up was really high quality. Marantz 2265 driving Martin Logan Motion 4s and ML D300 sub. Just kind of massive and not quite as nice as my all tube main system. I won't get into the argument as to which is best. I figure they are just different. I prefer the tube sound. Anyhow since I design and build a lot of stuff of both types I have lots of prototypes to choose from. I settled on a pair of mini-amps. Class A ultra linear EL84 push-pull amps. 5 watts each. The ones I used are upgraded with SMPS DC on the driver tubes, Audyn True copper caps, extra B+ filtering and carefully matched tubes (presently IH El84s and NOS JAN Phillips 5751 from 1944). The rest of the gear is my OMEN I7 PC, a SMSL DAC, and the same speakers. I built a stand alone "passive preamp" for it. Lovely sound. I use only uncompressed audio files (storage is cheap now). Most are .wav versions. The PC player is Groove Audio Media Player. I have about 5 others loaded but this one seems to do best what I want./forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3336&private=0
  • Attachment: Mini amp.jpg
    (Size: 729.76KB, Downloaded 210 times)

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tube amps on PC. [message #96795 is a reply to message #96794] Tue, 13 June 2023 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! That's so cool!

Nice lookin' and more power than I would expect from that size.

Mighty Mouse!
Re: Tube amps on PC. [message #96796 is a reply to message #96794] Tue, 13 June 2023 12:45 Go to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
That's a nice looking little amp!
Previous Topic: Interpreting tube setup in a Leben CS-600
Next Topic: A fix for Oddwatt type amps running on low AC mains voltage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:01:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio