Home » xyzzy » Tower » Natural Forest Fires (A bit of a confession)
Natural Forest Fires [message #96762] Wed, 07 June 2023 13:39 Go to next message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
There are forest fires in Canada right now, ignited by lightning. I'm in New York, and the effects have been significant: thick orange haze, a constant burning or BBQ-like smell. And I shouldn't say this, but I kind of like the way the haze looks, at least for now. Have you been in or near something similar or the same?
Re: Natural Forest Fires [message #96784 is a reply to message #96762] Thu, 08 June 2023 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The caption of the orange haze in NYC was, "This is how mars looks". It looked and probably smelled oppressive. I've gotten whiffs of wild fires from the western states where I live. And after awhile the BBQ scent is not noticed. There's enough of that around here as it is. But this stuff is really bad for the lungs.
Re: Natural Forest Fires [message #96785 is a reply to message #96784] Thu, 08 June 2023 11:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A couple years ago, there was a really weird fire near where I live. It was literally underground. One would think that's not possible, but what made it so was underground caves and caverns.

Apparently, decades ago there was a trash pit far outside any population centers that was eventually overtaken by city development. And here - much to my surprise - it isn't uncommon for people to burn trash in this area, usually woody trash that comes from fallen trees and those uprooted by local flooding. It's common enough here that the trash area was actually called a "stump dump." This practice was foreign to me 'cause I'm an import here.

Anyway, the common practice of burning at the "stump dump" eventually caught material that extended into the caverns, which then gave a source of oxygen from underneath. Once that happened, the fire couldn't be extinguished from water or by covering the burn with soil. The heat was deep enough surface water would vaporize before lowering the temperature and covering didn't remove the oxygen source. So the hillbillies were screwed.

Sorry if that sounds condescending - I suppose it is - but I just can't understand how anyone could be so stupid to not foresee this eventuality. In my mind, once you start populating natural woodland, you have to be mindful that there is a lot of natural kindling. And especially if it has a lot of caves, now you have kindling and underground oxygen sources. So openly burning trash seems somewhat dangerous.

Funny stuff.
Previous Topic: Summer plans?
Next Topic: Beeping smoke detectors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:29:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers