Home » Audio » General » The Science of Sound
The Science of Sound [message #96596] Tue, 04 April 2023 09:40 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I found an interesting article on NPR. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/03/1167494088/your-brain-on-art-music-dance-poetry

It's another in a growing line of articles that tie art in general and music in particular to brain development. I'm glad that news like this gets out to the public. (or at least those who look for it) This information needs to become more mainstream and ingrained into our brains, in my opinion.
Re: The Science of Sound [message #96600 is a reply to message #96596] Tue, 04 April 2023 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice article. The brains domain. I guess being open minded can give the old noggin some flexibility that otherwise may stunt it's growth. The arts and sciences are really quite compatible in that they share creativity by being both flexible and disciplined. The article mentions Fela Kuti. There's an artist that combined the discipline of rhythm layers with the more free form of jazz with a political message to boot.
Took me a long time to find this tune of his just by a hazy recollection of hearing it in the past. I knew it was Fela, but no idea what the name of the song was.

No Agreement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xrVWF12FE
Re: The Science of Sound [message #96622 is a reply to message #96596] Wed, 12 April 2023 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
That's a nice combination of two of my favorite things - NPR and Jazz music. I feel like I learned something, Kingfish. Thanks for sharing.

Rusty, a buddy of mine hooked me up with Kuti's music. No Agreement is probably my favorite of the bunch. It's a good mix of funk and jazz. Kuti seemed to turn a little odd with his claims of UFO contact and magical rituals. Maybe the political and military conflict eventually ate at him until he was simply paranoid, or maybe the mental illness was always there. He sure was incredibly talented.
Re: The Science of Sound [message #96624 is a reply to message #96622] Wed, 12 April 2023 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Alright, another Kuti fan! Might of been all that cannabist he ingested before being arrested, leading to his song Expensive Shit. I think he had a huge following that indulged him. Elvis got pretty wacky too with all the beliefs he espoused upon. Fame, fortune and druggin don't always make for clear thimkin.
Re: The Science of Sound [message #96636 is a reply to message #96596] Wed, 19 April 2023 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Does anyone know if he ever collaborated with Peter Gabriel? Peter is the closest thing to African music that I listen to. World Music, I believe they call it, because of the African elements intertwined with everything else he puts in.

Kuti is very free-form, though. Nice and relaxing.
Re: The Science of Sound [message #96637 is a reply to message #96636] Wed, 19 April 2023 09:29 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Quote:

Silver
Does anyone know if he ever collaborated with Peter Gabriel? Peter is the closest thing to African music that I listen to. World Music, I believe they call it, because of the African elements intertwined with everything else he puts in.

Kuti is very free-form, though. Nice and relaxing.
You might be thinking of Ginger Baker who collaborated with Fela. They did a live album together.
Paul Simon had a hit album Graceland featuring African musicians.
Previous Topic: Design Mistakes
Next Topic: The dullness of instant access
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:19:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout