Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Crimes of the Future
Crimes of the Future [message #96562] Sun, 26 March 2023 16:21 Go to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I watched this movie yesterday on the Kanopy movie channel. It's quite a strange fantasy of the future. Not a utopian one either. This future dwells on a possible human evolution internally to the environment. Directed by David Cronenberg, whose known for strange subject matter. This future technology seems to incorporate organic forms. About the only clue to a future like setting.

Suffice to say, humans have lost the sense of pain and some are metamorphasysing new internal organs. Organs of unknown use. This has become a performance art to reveal these organs during a bizarre surgical show. There is a sexually implied aspect to it as well. The main character, (Viggo Mortensen-Lord of the Rings), is the main performer in conjunction with his female partner conducting this ritual reveal to an audience using this strange surgical organic technology.

A sub plot is a branch of law enforcement investigating a sect of humans that are surgically evolving their internal digestion to eating plastic compounds. There's so much in the environment. And motives investigating a murder of a young boy who was born with the ability to eat plastic by evolutionary selection. His father is part of the sect.

The movie doesn't try to put any ethical baggage to the state of where human kind is evolving. It shows simply what is happening in this odd society. Though murder is still an ethical taboo. As the young boys mother was responsible for his murder. The protagonist performer is cajoled by the law enforcement agency into infiltrating this sect of human plastic eaters.

Well, that's all I'll say about it. It was kind of challenge to "digest" this very weird but intriguing movie. Some nudity, but no explicit scenes.
I came away with a few, "Whew", what a weird movie. Glad I watched it though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14549466/
Re: Crimes of the Future [message #96566 is a reply to message #96562] Sun, 26 March 2023 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
That sounds like a wild ride. Something M. Night Shyamalan might be a part of if he wanted to take The Minority Report to the next level.
Re: Crimes of the Future [message #96653 is a reply to message #96562] Sat, 29 April 2023 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dervlin is currently offline  dervlin
Chancellor
It sounds like a fleshed out episode of The Twightlight Zone--sci-fi that's so kooky, camp, and out there, that it's good.

I wish I could use Kanopy, but our library doesn't participate in the program. Nice find, though.
Re: Crimes of the Future [message #96666 is a reply to message #96562] Wed, 03 May 2023 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
That's the darkest science fiction I've encountered until recently. I'll have to look for that show now! It is scary, though, since with evolution comes evolved crimes too.
Re: Crimes of the Future [message #96681 is a reply to message #96562] Sat, 06 May 2023 22:47 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
It kind of sounds like he could have made two movies out of that. Or a trilogy for that matter.

It all seems to focus on the future of the human body, and that's a rather new twist on sci-fi.
Previous Topic: I'll finish watching it later
Next Topic: Like to see?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:22:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout