Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Gong Show
The Gong Show [message #96414] Wed, 22 February 2023 12:16 Go to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This video shows the Paiste 80" Symphonic gong in use. What's interesting is the "Gong Master", Sven, (is his handle), needs only to barely tap with his mallet to get this thing to resonate at high levels. He then coaxes weird creepy noises out of it with some small toothbrush sized implement. Impressive piece of brass though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2r6E1E7sM

The force is strong with gong master Sven.
Re: The Gong Show [message #96417 is a reply to message #96414] Wed, 22 February 2023 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's pretty damn cool! Reminds me of theremins and armonicas - interesting and unusual instruments.
Re: The Gong Show [message #96422 is a reply to message #96417] Wed, 22 February 2023 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Theremin will for me at least always be associated with the Sci-fi classic, The Day the Earth Stood Still. The Beach Boys made a classic with it too with their Good Vibrations song. Such a weird instrument. Gaining in popularity with tons of youtubes. Even kitty kats are gettin in on the act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXn4_JkVFVo&t=36s
Re: The Gong Show [message #96423 is a reply to message #96422] Wed, 22 February 2023 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's funny. But as I watched it, I realized that theremins are perfect for cats. Laughing
Re: The Gong Show [message #96462 is a reply to message #96414] Thu, 02 March 2023 22:23 Go to previous message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Maybe the cat will go on tour this summer!

I believe that Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park used the theremin in a few of their songs. I looked pretty cool. I enjoyed learning more about the gong, so thanks for sharing. I always assumed that it played a limited role, so it was nice to see what else it could do.
Previous Topic: Oscars nominees list
Next Topic: What happened to Prime Music?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:19:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio