Home » Audio » General » Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables
Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables [message #96456] Thu, 02 March 2023 04:00 Go to next message
kasperbergholt is currently offline  kasperbergholt
Baron
Clever people,

For the last year's time I've tested different speaker cables - and spent some time on understanding the science behind good designs.

I've liked tinned copper in cotton isolation treated with. These sound better to me than speaker cables based on pure copper wrapped in plastic.

Next step has been solid copper in raw cotton treated with raw linseed oil. To date, this has been the best sounding. Setup is Sugden A21SE Signature, Leben Riaa and Project X2 turtable with a Goldring 2400 pickup. I'm using 2 meters of 16 AWG.

I find it somewhat difficult to describe why I prefer the solid core cables and would be interested in hearing about other people's experience with tinned copper vs solid-core copper.

I've googled a fair bit, but most results are somewhat superficial.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Smile

Kasper

https://bergholt.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/duelund-kabel-solid-kobber-i-bomuld-behandlet-med-linolie.jpg

Re: Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables [message #96457 is a reply to message #96456] Thu, 02 March 2023 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
All I can say is, with the 14 guage copper and cheap typical loudspeaker wire I use. I don't consider thinking about the great debate over wire has with the sound I get. It's fine.
Re: Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables [message #96459 is a reply to message #96457] Thu, 02 March 2023 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi I am generally with Rusty on this....there are a number of types and constructions of wire that sound bad. But I find that multi strand copper wires of sufficient gauge all seem quite similar. I find that ones too thin can be a problem so all of mine are 14 and 12 gauge. I consider it possible that the actual speakers and amps could be involved and tend to sound better with certain variations than others. My speaker - amp combination does not seem too care much as long as the lengths (under 2 meters) and gauge are sufficient. I use Martin Logan ESLs with some of my personally tweaked Oddblocks in a class A U/L mode at optimum settings. Other folks may have different results and varying thoughts.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables [message #96463 is a reply to message #96457] Sat, 04 March 2023 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Rusty wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 08:37
All I can say is, with the 14 guage copper and cheap typical loudspeaker wire I use. I don't consider thinking about the great debate over wire has with the sound I get. It's fine.

Thank you for the reply, Rusty. Have compared with other types?
Re: Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables [message #96464 is a reply to message #96459] Sat, 04 March 2023 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 19:43
Hi I am generally with Rusty on this....there are a number of types and constructions of wire that sound bad. But I find that multi strand copper wires of sufficient gauge all seem quite similar. I find that ones too thin can be a problem so all of mine are 14 and 12 gauge. I consider it possible that the actual speakers and amps could be involved and tend to sound better with certain variations than others. My speaker - amp combination does not seem too care much as long as the lengths (under 2 meters) and gauge are sufficient. I use Martin Logan ESLs with some of my personally tweaked Oddblocks in a class A U/L mode at optimum settings. Other folks may have different results and varying thoughts.

Thank you for the reply, gofar99. To my ears multi-stranded copper wires of around the same AWG sound the same too when they're made with plastic.

But solid-core and tinned copper sounds different - and better.
Re: Tonality of solid-core copper vs tinned copper speaker cables [message #96465 is a reply to message #96463] Sat, 04 March 2023 11:49 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
kasperbergholt wrote on Sat, 04 March 2023 08:50
Thank you for the reply, Rusty. Have compared with other types?

Years ago I went through a phase with the cable influence on sound. I just lost interest in it. I don't think anymore whatever the differences there are to wiring and the physics involved is so small in level to warrant any effect on the sound. As long as the wire isn't compromised by it's gauge size, corrosion or bad connection. I used some solid core wire once. As Guitar Slim sang it, "I done got over it".

But give your speakers whatever you feel makes them sound the best.
Previous Topic: Christmas Goodies
Next Topic: Trusted testing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:10:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout