Home » Audio » Pro Sound » The Case of the Dying Duck
The Case of the Dying Duck [message #96370] Mon, 13 February 2023 08:49 Go to next message
dervlin is currently offline  dervlin
Chancellor
The oboe, that is. My daughter was playing the flute in band. I remember when she first started out that it sounded pretty bad, but that's the norm, right? She got better at it quickly enough. Well, she's about five months in with the oboe and her mother and I can't reach for the earplugs fast enough when she starts up. I can't think of any other way to describe it, except to say that it sounds like a pretty good impression of a duck in its final death throes. Is this ever going to get any better? My daughter feels like she must master this instrument because the band director said they needed an oboist for concert season. Not being musically gifted myself, I can't tell if this is a child's natural progression through playing a new instrument, or if an oboe is just meant to sound like this. Are oboes simply dreadful when not paired with other instruments?
Re: The Case of the Dying Duck [message #96371 is a reply to message #96370] Mon, 13 February 2023 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is this what you're going through Dervlin? I'm sorry for you all. It must really be trying. Hopefully patience's will pay off. The instrument can sound nice with better command of it as seen in this video of a professional and a beginner.

The Duck....(you ain't kiddin!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGhP1ch8VhI&t=95s
Re: The Case of the Dying Duck [message #96392 is a reply to message #96370] Fri, 17 February 2023 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think the oboe sounds wonderful when it's accompanied by a different instrument or two. It seems to give the piece extra spice. I can't say that I care for it when played alone, though. You might be pleasantly surprised when you hear her play with the full band.
Re: The Case of the Dying Duck [message #96400 is a reply to message #96370] Sun, 19 February 2023 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Yes, Rusty, that's exactly what I'm talking about! I love how that student is just so amazed by the seasoned player, but still plays his own part with such enthusiasm when it's his turn. He never gives up, even though he's struggling. He sounded fairly decent in a few parts as well. Good for him!

I have to say that my daughter is the same way. She takes it seriously and practices often. She sounds dreadful, but we'd never tell her that, of course. She likes to play for us sometimes. Talk about grinning and bearing it. Still, I guess we've just gotta buckle down and show our support.
Re: The Case of the Dying Duck [message #96439 is a reply to message #96370] Sun, 26 February 2023 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
When I first started playing it, even the family pets protested. The dogs would bark, and the cats would scurry down to the basement. The oboe is a difficult instrument. Although figuring out the keys is simple, working out the reed placement in the mouth is complicated. It's a sensitive instrument. Taking lessons from a professional could really help if you guys have that option. Does she actually enjoy playing the instrument, or is she merely doing it to please her band director? She must be a talented flutist, since she was chosen to try the oboe. It's a shame that band directors resort to that, though. Not every child wants to switch.

I hope you'll stick around the forum, dervlin. I really like your sense of humor. Plus, it's always nice to have new perspectives in the mix.

Re: The Case of the Dying Duck [message #96444 is a reply to message #96370] Tue, 28 February 2023 04:02 Go to previous message
Chancellor
The pets had to seek shelter away from the noise? Ouch! Thanks for making me laugh this morning, Madison. I've done some reading on here, and I noticed that you play multiple instruments, which is amazing. If I'm honest, her mother and I are concerned that she's pressuring herself to learn the instrument in order to make her teacher happy. She's a people pleaser. However, we've told her that she doesn't have to play it if she doesn't want to. She insists that she does, so what can you do? She seems to enjoy it, even though she's still pretty awful. Thanks for the warm welcome. I like this forum and plan on staying.
Previous Topic: Unpleasant sound effects
Next Topic: Wireless Quality Mike
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:49:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout