Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Textured ceilings
Textured ceilings [message #96394] Sat, 18 February 2023 12:42 Go to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Do you guys remember textured ceilings? They were the "it" thing in the 80s and early 90s. Some were called popcorn ceilings, some looked like they were made by fanning out a trowel in damp plaster, and some were very complicated to make. Anyway, I read in This Old House magazine that textured ceilings lead to better room acoustics. How true is that? How much of a difference are we talking about here?
Re: Textured ceilings [message #96396 is a reply to message #96394] Sat, 18 February 2023 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Surely the difference is negligible at best. I know they use textures in opera houses and other music arenas, but those are made out of special materials, like foam and other paneling.
Re: Textured ceilings [message #96398 is a reply to message #96396] Sat, 18 February 2023 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Our house has them....I don't know if they matter much...but anything is better than bare sheet rock.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Textured ceilings [message #96597 is a reply to message #96394] Tue, 04 April 2023 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Not good if you're a smoker, though. They are next to impossible to clean. I knew some property managers that hated textured ceilings because when that ceiling leaks water from the roof, you kind of have to replace the whole ceiling.
Re: Textured ceilings [message #96877 is a reply to message #96394] Sun, 30 July 2023 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Come on, I just don't buy it that textured paint helps with acoustics. It's just paint. I think acoustic tiles would do the trick, and they're usually textured, but I can't see textured paint making much of a difference on a ceiling. It's nothing more than an interesting pattern.
Re: Textured ceilings [message #96900 is a reply to message #96394] Sat, 12 August 2023 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Out of all the articles I've read from industry experts, never once have I heard that popcorn ceilings are better acoustically.

It was a construction fad that, fortunately, died a quick death.
Re: Textured ceilings [message #96911 is a reply to message #96900] Sat, 12 August 2023 21:06 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, They actually do have a purpose in our house....we have radiant heat tapes in the ceiling and the popcorn hides it nicely.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Drapes or Curtains
Next Topic: Concrete and Tin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:23:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers