Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Depopulating Countries
Depopulating Countries [message #96388] Thu, 16 February 2023 20:51 Go to next message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
So far in 2023, these are the top 20.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-with-declining-population
I can't help wondering what these places may look like in a few decades and how they'll function without a sizable young demographic. What are your thoughts?
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96390 is a reply to message #96388] Fri, 17 February 2023 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
At least for the Baltic states, giving Latvia as an example of the post Soviet countries that joined the EU to experience Neoliberalism. When austerity was imposed that the financial masters demanded, the youth as pointed out in this article, "instead of protesting, voted with their backsides and began emigrating when wages shrank and taxes burdened labor".
https://michael-hudson.com/2013/01/latvias-economic-disaster-as-a-neoliberal-success-story-a-model-for-europe-and-the-us/
Economics plays a great part in society, and it's tendency to either work for the benefit of the working people or the financial few determines the overall health that a population trends towards.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96395 is a reply to message #96388] Sat, 18 February 2023 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I'd like to see things change, but I don't see how it can be done. Unfortunately, in many of the poorest regions, birth control is unavailable to women. Sometimes religion plays a major role in overpopulation as well. What do you do when your faith tells you to only have sex for procreation and not to use any form of family planning? Also, many of these women are not allowed to say no to their husbands, who often demand intimacy. Misogyny is deeply rooted. It's a lot to tackle.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96399 is a reply to message #96395] Sun, 19 February 2023 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Chronic eroding conditions in our world are looked at, or more likely ignored, as just one of those vexing things. Not considering the underlying conditions is like a disease causing the malignancy. Topical ointments it seems are used to treat it.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96432 is a reply to message #96388] Fri, 24 February 2023 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think I'm with Porter on this one. Maybe depopulation really isn't a problem that needs to be addressed. Like Porter mentioned, in countries with large populations, the women often lack the choices and health care that could lead to fewer numbers. I looked at the list, and I don't know the politics or gender rights behind many of those that made it, but perhaps there are fewer babies because the women aren't making that choice. When they can choose, women often choose to limit their family size. We've seen that in the US as well.

Rusty, you're my kind of man. I do agree with you about working rights and how our financial stability has been eroded over the years due to the greed of an elite few and the politicians that lap up the spoils. It's shameful.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96433 is a reply to message #96432] Sat, 25 February 2023 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Did you guys look at the map? Do the poorer countries in Africa, Middle Eastern and South America show a decline? Japan's an exception being a wealthy country. But they don't have any immigration influx. Greece has been under the thumb of the International Monetary Fund and the European Neoliberal austerity to pay back loans. The main pressure on these populations is to leave in search of income. Young people in particular, of child rearing age.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96437 is a reply to message #96388] Sat, 25 February 2023 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
If younger folks are leaving in droves and/or having one or no kids, imagine the strain on health care and other services because of the remaining and growing senior populations.

Some say it's good to have a drop in numbers; it would help the environment and lessen job competition.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96442 is a reply to message #96388] Mon, 27 February 2023 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Rusty, yes, I looked at the map. I agree with what you're saying. However, my take on the subject is that we'd see a larger decline in the poorer countries of Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and South America if the women had the option to control their family size. So, I think the map is a little biased because it doesn't take that into account. There's a lot of bad stuff going on in the world, and I believe we'd see depopulation in droves if possible. I'll also admit that I don't know much about some of the countries that did make the list. Plus, I assumed that it wasn't that easy to immigrate. I've looked into it myself, and it seemed pretty difficult to do so. I'm sure the war in Ukraine has had an impact as well. It's also important to note that the map is a projected decline. It's what they believe will happen through 2050. A lot could change in that time. I agree with you about the economic and political situation, though.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96656 is a reply to message #96388] Tue, 02 May 2023 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
So the question is, what is the purpose of a map projecting population declines? Is it a guide on where to be proactive against it happening? If so, why? I don't mean to sound harsh, but a sinking ship is a sinking ship.
Re: Depopulating Countries [message #96657 is a reply to message #96388] Tue, 02 May 2023 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Even if the projections have a 5% window of error, these are countries who do business with other countries. Depopulation equates to a shrinking workforce which equates to a failing economy which equates to a failed country if the issue is left unattended long enough.

Maybe no one can stop the depopulation, but someone or something needs to be ready to pick up the pieces.
Previous Topic: I Hate Ants
Next Topic: Changing The Government.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:13:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout