Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL 2226 repair
JBL 2226 repair [message #96307] Fri, 27 January 2023 09:08 Go to next message
Jensen is currently offline  Jensen
Chancellor
I build a set of 4pis a few years ago. Love the sound, love the look. Unfortunately while house sitting, my sister inlaw's daughter stoved in the center dust caps on both JBL 2226s. And I'm absolutely crushed... Can't stand to look at them.

Can the dust caps be removed/ replaced? Any guidance is appreciated. J
Re: JBL 2226 repair [message #96309 is a reply to message #96307] Fri, 27 January 2023 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's actually a very inexpensive repair. It will cost more to ship than to repair.

If you can't find a place to do it locally, send the drivers to David Miller at Speaker Works in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Phone number is (918) 664-6299. Tell David I sent you. Hopefully he won't charge you double. Laughing

I know you said both caps are crushed, so you need to have both drivers repaired. But even if only one was damaged, I'd send both to David anyway. That way they're both matched. It's only really an aesthetics thing, but still, I think it's worth it. Otherwise, one cap might be slightly sun-bleached and the other a little darker. Even when the cones aren't in direct sunlight, seems like the paper lightens over time. And if they've been outdoors or near windows for a while, sometimes they're really light colored. No harm, but still, they'll look better matched, with cones the same and caps the same.

This all means you'll have to do without your speakers for a week or two, but when you get 'em back they'll be good as new. https://audioroundtable.com/images/thumbs-up.gif
Re: JBL 2226 repair [message #96310 is a reply to message #96309] Fri, 27 January 2023 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jensen is currently offline  Jensen
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. Any chance I can do it my self?
Re: JBL 2226 repair [message #96311 is a reply to message #96310] Fri, 27 January 2023 13:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, you cut off the cap and glue on the new one on.

But I'd suggest sending the drivers to David. They'll be perfect when you get them back.
Previous Topic: Multisubs for pi7
Next Topic: 3Pi front soundstage build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout