Home » Audio » Radio » Commercial time
Commercial time [message #95921] Sun, 21 August 2022 20:18 Go to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
My truck is a beater, with no satellite radio capabilities, so I settle for FM radio, old-school style. Anyway, has anyone noticed that the commercials and sponsorships go on for ages now? I know that the station has to earn revenue, but it's gotten ridiculous in the past three months or so.
Re: Commercial time [message #95926 is a reply to message #95921] Mon, 22 August 2022 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So true.

Sometimes I listen to an old-time radio show. It features radio programs from the 1940s, 50s and 60s. The commercials in those shows are so much fun to hear! Sometimes, the host simply reads a script about their sponsor. Other times, it's pre-recorded like modern commercials. But the tone and content is just so different.
Re: Commercial time [message #95927 is a reply to message #95921] Mon, 22 August 2022 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's not just commercial radio. At the Y I go to, I use an elliptical machine for cardio. It has cable news capability which I use to help pass the tedium of the workout. Seems like it's 60/40. Forty for news content and the rest commercials.

I like those old timey ad's too. Promoting things that gave you Vim, Vigor & Vitality! Also, I like old idiotic local commercials that certain local "personalities" promoted. There was a fellow in my parts that hawked car's, food, you name it for local businesses. Colonel Billy was his name. Had a gravely voice and wore a wooden barrel with suspenders wearing cowboy hat & boots for the Ford dealership he promoted. Boots Williams Ford. "You bet yer boots", he'd say. Running around like a halfwit.
Re: Commercial time [message #95928 is a reply to message #95927] Mon, 22 August 2022 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Speaking of "Vigor and Vim" and old time programs, do you remember Jack LaLanne?

Your post reminded me of his show.
Re: Commercial time [message #95929 is a reply to message #95928] Mon, 22 August 2022 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Absolutely! That guy in the stretchy pants with bulging biceps. Organ music playing in the background as he coaxed suburban ladies to work out with him on the tv. In his later years he would stage some event of his physical prowess by towing a boat tethered via rope to his teeth while swimming across some body of water. Lived to 96, wow! That's vim, vigor & vitality.
The weirdest one though was that Richard Simmons, sort of a gender bender fitness guru. Guess he's still with us.
Re: Commercial time [message #97209 is a reply to message #95926] Mon, 20 November 2023 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 22 August 2022 07:41

So true.

Sometimes I listen to an old-time radio show. It features radio programs from the 1940s, 50s and 60s. The commercials in those shows are so much fun to hear!
Is there a way anyone in any part of the country can pick up this station? I would love to hear the old commercials. Especially the ones for cigarettes.
Re: Commercial time [message #97212 is a reply to message #97209] Mon, 20 November 2023 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My local radio station broadcasts a program every day called, "When Radio Was."

When I looked it up to see if it aired in other parts of the country, I found its website:
Enjoy!
Re: Commercial time [message #97214 is a reply to message #97212] Mon, 20 November 2023 13:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here's a nothern' if you like old tymie radio shows. https://zootradio.com/index.php
Go to show list, there's an alphabet full of them, with lots of episodes.
Previous Topic: Nothing but commercials
Next Topic: Any Other NPR Listeners Here?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:34:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio