Home » Audio » Source » Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA
Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95848] Thu, 21 July 2022 06:30 Go to next message
kasperbergholt is currently offline  kasperbergholt
Baron
Clever people,

In the process of researching a new interconnect between my turntable & RIAA, I found a Belden 8402 cable (lenghth 0,6 meters).

It has the following specs:

Nominal capacitance conductor to conductor = 30 pF/ft
Impedance = 52
Nom inductance = .18
Nominal capacitance conductor to other conductor and shield = 55

The pickup is a Goldring 21200 with a recommended capacitance load of 100-200pf.

Any thoughts on how this would pan out?

Thanks in advance,

Kasper
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95849 is a reply to message #95848] Thu, 21 July 2022 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I like Mogami cable. I used the W2549 long run cable between my turntable and it's distance to the line preamp because of it's lower capacitance (23pf/ft). It's construction makes for easier soldering than other cable I've used. And it sounds fine to me. But, I'm sure your choice would work fine as well. Cabling other than it's useful characteristics needed for the signal integrity ends there. Nothing exotic or expensive needed for me.
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95850 is a reply to message #95849] Fri, 22 July 2022 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Rusty wrote on Thu, 21 July 2022 10:02
I like Mogami cable. I used the W2549 long run cable between my turntable and it's distance to the line preamp because of it's lower capacitance (23pf/ft). It's construction makes for easier soldering than other cable I've used. And it sounds fine to me. But, I'm sure your choice would work fine as well. Cabling other than it's useful characteristics needed for the signal integrity ends there. Nothing exotic or expensive needed for me.
Thank you for the reply - and recommendation of the Mogami 2549.

It's been on my 'try list' for a while.

In this thread I found out it's what Linn use in their T Kable (prices @ around $430).

https://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=94333&&srch=linn#msg_94333

In the meantime, I've changed turntables - and to one with RCA connectors instead of the DIN connector.

Will definitely give it a try soon.

If I can borrow a recording device at some time, I'll see if there's any measurable difference between the two cables (Belden vs Mogami).
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95851 is a reply to message #95850] Fri, 22 July 2022 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have used a number of different cables and presently I am using Belden 8412 on one turntable (Grado Sonata II cartridge) with the conductors used as balanced mode with the shield only at one end. On the other main turntable I am using Mogami 2534 with the two pairs connected together in a balanced mode going from a Dynavector Karat23MR-RS to the SUTs with only one end of the shield connected to ground. Each arrangement uses two cables from the cartridge to preamp or SUT. I get great sound and no noise from this arrangement. When I used single core cables I always had some hum and noise. Then again I am quite picky about hum and noise and anything that degrades it is unacceptable. Mogami 2552 was nearly as good as the 2534. BTW the Belden is a PITA to work with and get clean terminations because of the fluffy internal insulation.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95852 is a reply to message #95851] Fri, 22 July 2022 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA Fri, 22 July 2022 11:46
kasperbergholt
Quote:
In this thread I found out it's what Linn use in their T Kable (prices @ around $430).
It always amazes me that people will spend such large sums of money on cables and wires.
You'll save a bundle doing it yourself and it will sound just as good. Better, knowing what you saved.
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95854 is a reply to message #95852] Tue, 26 July 2022 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Rusty wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 16:34
Quote:
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA Fri, 22 July 2022 11:46
kasperbergholt
Quote:
It always amazes me that people will spend such large sums of money on cables and wires.
You'll save a bundle doing it yourself and it will sound just as good. Better, knowing what you saved.
Agree.

Do you have any recommendation for reasonably priced speaker cable? I can see that both Mogami and Belden have offerings in that space too.
Re: Belden 8402 cable between turntable & RIAA [message #95855 is a reply to message #95854] Tue, 26 July 2022 09:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm sure they're just fine. I just use 14 gauge speaker wire. Generic stuff. I seem to think this cable and wire debate, discussion reinforces the esoteric aftermarket of such things. The markup to the material used is a lot like Paris fashion clothing. A symbolic badge of quality, cutting edge status. And high end hucksterism.
Previous Topic: Cassettes
Next Topic: Repairing old CDs and DVDs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:13:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout