Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » WAD Kel48 or Stoetkit Jr. which one should I get.
WAD Kel48 or Stoetkit Jr. which one should I get. [message #9580] Tue, 07 March 2006 09:36 Go to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
I have looked at both of these amps, and both seems like great value.

Having only had one tube amp before (AN Kit1), I find it hard to choose between the different valves.

They will be used with either Oris style fronthorns or Coral based backloaded horn.

What do you guys think ? or is there even more contenders in this price range ?

Re: WAD Kel48 or Stoetkit Jr. which one should I get. [message #9581 is a reply to message #9580] Tue, 07 March 2006 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've never heard the Kel48, so I can't help with a comparison. But I own an Audio Note Kit 2 and a Stoetkit Jr. I like them both very much. The Stoetkit is very controlled and neutral but at the same time rich sounding. If I had to describe it in non-technical terms, I'd say it had much of the midrange warmth of a SET amp with the bass control of a PP. I really like it a lot.

FSAudio is a dealer for the Stoetkit, and they used to be a sponsor of ART. They aren't sponsors anymore, but ART still archives the posts (by permission). Here are some posts I made in the FSAudio forum about the Stoetkit:

Re: WAD Kel48 or Stoetkit Jr. which one should I get. [message #9582 is a reply to message #9580] Tue, 07 March 2006 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Kim,

I can say that the Stoetkit jr is a very nice sounding amplifier.
I had the opportunity to hear it through Waynes 7 Pi speakers, it blew away the 2A3 SET by Doc B. I have not heard the WAD Kel48 amplifier that you have mentioned, so I cannot comment on it.

Here is another option that may work out for you.
It uses the 45 output tube in a SET configuration.
My experience with 45 tiodes as an output tubes, almost always outperforms any other output tube that I have heard in the sense of realism. The main drawback, is that it only produces about 2 watts of output. But, with the speakers that you have mentioned, it will perform well. And most of all, it will play music.

Check out this circuit board offering and see if it is a possibility for you to build from the ground up? The main work will go into a chassis. And you can have one made up at a reasonable cost.
I figure this whole project would not cost more than $500 when using quality parts and buying good NOS or used tubes off of ePay.

Good luck in your search.

Norris Wilson

Re: WAD Kel48 or Stoetkit Jr. which one should I get. [message #9583 is a reply to message #9582] Tue, 07 March 2006 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a real cool link on the 45 amp, thanks! Maybe we should consider that one for a Group Build sometime. Damir and Douglas are doing some reeeeally cool stuff too, so one of their projects should probably be considered. But they require a little more resourcefulness to build because they do not come in kit form.

Re: Stoetkit Jr. [message #9584 is a reply to message #9581] Tue, 07 March 2006 14:27 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have heard toe Stoetkit Jr. on Wayne's Two Towers and I must say that it sounds very nice and goes plenty loud and deep on them. So I think it would sound equally nice on horn speakers. And FS Audio is indeed a standup business! I wish I could afford to get one.

Previous Topic: My Tubey website -suggestions
Next Topic: Dignity Audio DA08SE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:57:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout