Home » Audio » General » Will Folk Music Gradually Fade?
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95553 is a reply to message #94742] Sat, 23 April 2022 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
I hope not. There's a chance it won't be as famous because of mainstream music. Over the years, folk music's popularity will depend on social media and the people who focus on that niche.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95685 is a reply to message #95471] Thu, 16 June 2022 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billy37 is currently offline  billy37
Esquire
The Noise wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 17:58
I don't think folk music will fade. It reached its peak in the 60's when someone gave a 50's beatnik a guitar, but even then it wasn't mainstream. It was just a new form of music that drew an audience. It will always be that, really.
I also think that folk music will not fade. Even now I can see that it is popular among my children's friends to play bass guitar, piano and even violin. I heard that playing and listening to classical music helps developing brain (sharing an interesting source ), so I think it will stay with us no matter what. I am glad that my son recently has started playing the bass guitar (recommend this one). We are more than satisfied with the sound. Now we have even more atmospheric evenings among family.

Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95686 is a reply to message #95685] Thu, 16 June 2022 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The folk music that peaked in the 60's was then as now a continuation from folk music that came from immigration from the old countries. Country music and blues music as well. So it should be kept preserved as important culture for our society. I liked the folk music that came out of Woodie Guthrie era that influenced the 60's artists. Some of which I found to be pretty corny. But Bob Dylan, Joan Baes shifted that clean cut image more back towards the activism of Woodie Guthrie. There was a British folk scene that tapped into their musical minstrels from way back. The artist Richard Thompson came out of that scene in the group Fairport Convention. He's gone on to produce some beautifully poignant music like 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yw2yKNLEPc
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95769 is a reply to message #94742] Tue, 05 July 2022 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dropuc is currently offline  Dropuc
Chancellor
I think folk music will fade and remain only in literature studies like many other traditions. It is rare to hear it played today, so how can we expect to learn it? As we continue embracing contemporary music in droves, there will be a generation and era where the epitaph goes - "Here lays Folk."
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95775 is a reply to message #95769] Tue, 05 July 2022 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It ain't dead yet. https://www.jonesaroundtheworld.com/folk-festivals/
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #96420 is a reply to message #94742] Wed, 22 February 2023 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
Looking at the thread title, it seems like folk has been somewhat faded for a few decades, but it's far from dead. I'm thinking of "Soon May the Wellerman Come" and how it went viral on Tik Tok in 2021.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #96424 is a reply to message #96420] Wed, 22 February 2023 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, As long as there are acoustic guitars and banjos there will be folk music. Likely different from the stuff of the 60's though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #97138 is a reply to message #95551] Tue, 31 October 2023 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
It's not something I listen to either, but I do listen to a lot of Bob Dylan. Dylan is a master who was influenced by folk so who knows if another like Dylan will come along who is also influenced by folk.

It should stay because of the influence it has on musicians.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #97219 is a reply to message #94742] Wed, 22 November 2023 20:49 Go to previous message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
It can be tough to draw the line between genres, depending on the artist. Neil Young comes to mind. Is "Heart of Gold" truly folk?
Previous Topic: BF equipment deals?
Next Topic: The Black Friday Sales
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:24:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout